The Reef Tank banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

Last time I posted I was in the middle of negotiations with a firm in Ft Lauderdale.. alas, the negotiations fell through. However, I am now relocating to Fort Worth, TX at the end of this month. Already I have had some local reefers coming by to plunder my tank. It's a sad process let me tell you!!

Even though it's sad to see my current setup going down, I am looking forward to starting a new tank once I get settled. I am keeping my Stand, Lighting and Skimmer and getting a new 120G All Glass tank. I am looking for a couple of specific things and suggestions here though.

I need some recommendations on custom sumps/refugiums. I saw ReefMania.net and know of Life Reef... are there any new kids on the block that anyone has had good results from?

I haven't been in the market for any LR in almost 3 years, so I need an update on who is carrying the best LR right now.

Also, are there any reefers in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area with suggestions on local stores or SD connections?? :) I will probably bring my remaining 5 bags, but may need a couple more for my new DSB.

·
Administrator
48,732 Posts
DAVE!!!!!!!!!!!!! Doode we thought you fell offf the planet. Hopefully the move will go well, and you get response on D/FW LFS. Hang in their it will get better

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Doug,

Thanks I appreciate it!

·
Registered
852 Posts
I moved a thousand miles a couple of years ago and took my rock with me. Put it in plastic garbage bags, stuck it in a rubbermaid tote in the trunk then drove for 2 days. Set up the rubbermaid tub to re-cycle the tank about a week later and I'm still using it. I got rid of everything else before the move but L.R. is very expensive - could be an option...

·
Registered
706 Posts
wow....2 days in the trunk of a car, in plastic trash bags......what kinda weather were you moving in? I can only begin to imagine the smell!

·
Registered
818 Posts
DaveJ,

I would definetly check out reefmania.net. Greg has made several things for me(sump, skimmer, reactor) He does really good work. I have seen him build a few things. He ships all over.
Worth looking into, Great prices.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Driving it down there isn't an option, I won't have the new tank up and running by the time I move.

Thanks for the feedback on reefmania, I will give him a call and put a feeler out.

·
Registered
852 Posts
ReefDave, it wasn't as bad as I expected :) Actually, I was kind of annoyed because I had these vermatid snails all over the rock that I hoped to get rid of - didn't work - after just being damp for a week then going through a cycle, the dang things just came right back. Amazing.

DaveJ, I didn't have a tank either - I just let it sit with a powerhead in the tub, did the odd water change and left it until I set up my new tank. :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.