The Reef Tank banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a quick intro first. I have been away from Saltwater/Reef tanks for a few years, but coming back. I currently have nothing so once again I will be starting from scratch. I am planning on starting a 20g nano in the coming months. One Local store has a great price on the Innovative Marine 20 Gallon NUVO Fusion Nano Aquarium Premium Starter Kit ($399.99 but on sale for $349.99). So now my actual question.

All the stores around here carry the Imagitarium Pacific Ocean Water, and/or Natures Own Nutri-SeaWater. I was wondering how much of a good or bad idea using this as a regular water system for a 20g nano would be. Also does using one over the other mean you should be looking for fish or corals from the area these come from?

·
Premium Member
11,065 Posts
Welcome back to the hobby and to TRT! I personally think products like Nutri-Seawater are a rip off. They call it "pre cycled" or some such nonsense and claim it makes it instantly ready for fish. Which, if you've been in the hobby before, you know that's pretty much crap. Very little bacteria hangs out in the water and nothing in this hobby happens fast. I think it's a way to prey on the new and impatient. It wouldn't hurt anything to use it all the time if you wanted, but it's be much more cost effective to just make your own saltwater (or even buying premixed from some LFS would still be cheaper).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My first thought when I saw it was, wow what a way to make money on newbies. O yeah I surely know nothing happens fast but a disappointment in this hobby. My LFS does sell premade Instant Ocean $1 per gallon. I figure regardless of which, it still has to cycle and level itself out chem wise. Thank you for the reply
I was hoping to not have to buy either RO, RODI, or UV sterilizers/Ozonizer due to the hard water I have here

·
Premium Member
11,065 Posts
If your LFS sells premixed water for $1 they may sell just RODI as well for like .50 and you could just mix your water at home. Or you could buy distilled from the grocery store. Spectrapure's refurbished RODI unit is on sale right now for $112 which is awesome, but for a 20g your water changes will be small enough that it wouldn't be a huge hassle to just buy a few gallons each week.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Just to add, when speaking to the LFS, they said using 10g of natural seawater, and 8g (because with LR and sand another 10g wouldn't fit) of the pre-made would be a good idea. Of course he didn't mention anything about cycling.

I use to buy distilled until I bought an RO/DI unit, but of course sold it many years ago.

I would think 2g-3g water change a month. On my old 55g tanks I did 5g every other week.

·
Premium Member
11,065 Posts
Of course he would, he wants to sell it right? :p

I usually recommend 10% weekly for the first six months to a year and then dropping your water changes. Just because of The Uglies/algae that comes and goes in new tanks.

·
Shark..but a friendly one
16,641 Posts
Welcome back to the madness, and to TRT Kable360. All the best to you, and you're off to a good start with Chi helping you. :beer:
Hack

1 - 9 of 9 Posts