The Reef Tank banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I worked for 2 long days having a yardsale! Ouch!!! What a painus in the ......But the good news is I made $300!!!!!(And got rid of a lot of junk)But now that Kent RO/DI is mine!!!! Mine,I tell ya, mine...evil little laugh.....

It'll be plumbed in with a float valve so I wont ever have to topup again. Yippee!!!! Cant wait until Tues :D

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Hey Nicole! Well I guess yard sales are not all that bad then!! Congrats on the new RO/DI unit!!:D

·
Master of Perplexity
3,451 Posts
Nicole,
Dumb question from a newbie, but if you plumb directly to your topoff, how do you add calcium, with a reactor?

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not a dumb question at all.....

Im not there, yet. I'll get the RO/DI on tuesday. Let me get that up and running and then I'll set my goal for the next major purchase. At the moment, I dont have a calcium reactor or a drip system. I just have to give the sump small doses of Kalkwasser or the stuff that came with my calcium test kit....Calk,Coral Trace,Calcium. I havent checked this week, but last week my calcium was at 450, which is good.

I'll be looking into Calcium Reactors....anyone have suggestions? Specs are:
72g bowfront, 20g sump, 10g refug.
100+LR, 100+LS, SPS,LPS,shrooms,polyps
7 small fish

·
Premium Member
7,889 Posts
yardboy said:
Nicole,
Dumb question from a newbie, but if you plumb directly to your topoff, how do you add calcium, with a reactor?
The easiest way to maintain ca/alk without a reactor is with two part supplements such as B-Ionic.

·
Master of Perplexity
3,451 Posts
Yea, that's the reason I had that question, I've used B-Ionic also, but started using Seachem powders and mixed them up into my topoff water. Just "anecdotal" so far, but I think I'm gettng better sps growth from kalkwasser, which I had used before the Seachem in my topoff, but one shot from the bottom of the barrel of milky white stuff (thank goodness I was sitting there and saw it happen, with the pH meter on so it was only one shot) made me shy away from that method. Tonight I've started gravity-dripping kalkwasser with a tube off the bottom to eliminate the milky stuff. Gather some more "anecdotes"!
I think Nicole's system might be the way to go for me also. Although I get hi-purity RO/DI from a 250gpm system at work, the hauling of 7 gallon jugs of water is getting real old.

·
Ughhh.. Dinoflagelettes..
1,262 Posts
When you plumb it to the float valve, make sure you plumb in a bypass with a ball valve... That way when you need water for waterchanges, you can fill other buckets from the bypass hose....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts