The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have approx 4" round, baby sea of cortez stingrays. They are tan in color and get to be about 10" full grown. Picking them up wed am, lmk Tcmas discounted price $50 includes tax

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
over 400 gallons at least from what I have read on any sting ray. they need room to swim around
bigger the better

of course that was when I was looking up the blue spot rays this one stays smaller so maybe it doesnt require as big of a tank?

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
i might be interested how fast do they grow? i'm putting in a 1000 gal pond this winter in my basment, woudl a 90 gal keep this guy till then?

·
Registered
57 Posts
According to "Aquarium Sharks and Rays" by Scott W. Michael which is pretty much the bible for keeping sharks and rays the Cortez Stingray can be kept in a 180 gallon aquarium as an adult. The species is very well suited to aquarium life and is even a candidate for captive breeding. It would probably do fine in a 90 gallon for 6 months to a year. They grow 1-2" per year and live to be about 8 years old in captivity. $50 is a very good price for one.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
i did a search and all i coul dfind was a pic of a "cortez electric ray" si that what they are?

·
RIP Steve Irwin
5,500 Posts
Are these equally sensitive to copper? I have a tank that i have topped off with tap water before (maintance account), and I would hate to see it die right away. I have never dosed any copper but the water I am sure comes through a copper pipe. Anyone have input on this? I would love to get one for the 500 gallon

·
Registered
4,889 Posts
Nice steve77....do you have more of a sand bed for the ray on the other side of the tank?

·
Registered
57 Posts
There is plenty of sand in the other corner of the tank for the ray to play in. This is temp housing until I get my 500 gallon in a few months.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts