The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I've always wanted a Tridacnid clam and have done plenty of research last year. But until now I never actually mustered up the courage to buy one.

Here he is when I was acclimating him, he was advertised as a baby gold Maxima. I think I'm in love.

I bought him last Thursday and he has spent that time on the bottom (Attached to the small rock that he came with). Although his mantle is nicely opened it doesn't seem to be stretching up for more light. The incurrent siphon is narrowly open but not gaping, and I found no pyramid snails either. From what I can tell he's a healthy clam.

On a sidenote, I never realised until last week that clams have basic eyes, but I noticed that the baby Maxima flinched whenever a fish went near. He is now used to the fish and only reacts if there's a sudden change in lighting.

He is kept under 120 watt blue/white LEDs which my bubble tip anemone has been thriving under, with low/moderate flow (Enough to make the mantle gently sway).
I read that over time I should move the clam up the rockwork and closer to the light. How will I know if he is happy enough? Additionally I read that baby clams should be fed, but half of the accounts I've read say it's mandatory and the other half say it's a myth. I'm a bit confused, so answers to those two questions would be brilliant.

Thank you for reading.

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
New researched shown that it is now a myth, make sure your maxima is up near the light! Btw the clam is SO BEAUTIFUL!

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys! I was half expecting some clam division of the Tang Police to tell me to take him back to the LFS, haha.

I'll be sure to move him higher up once I find a stable part of the rockwork that isn't taken by corals. I was very tempted by a speckled dark blue Maxima of the same size but he was twice as expensive. Maybe if this one continues to do well then I'll consider getting a second one in the months to come.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've just taken your advice and moved him to the top of the rockwork. I applied a blob of Epoxy to the underside of the clam's rock and he's now safely secured.
After the surprise of being picked up he immediately opened up after being placed. In fact, the current is more gentle up there so maybe that's helping.

He seems happy enough!

·
Officer Tang
822 Posts
You're going to want to move the clam further away from the RBT anemone. Both will grow rather large, and they aren't friendly toward one another. Looking good though.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bit of an emergency here, people.

I woke up to find the clam missing and a ball of byssal threads in its place. I had to dismantle the rockwork to find the clam, which had thrown itself off the rock during the night.

Here's the byssal threads:

And here's the bottom of the clam. Does it look intact?

I have balanced him on the bottom and he's opening up as though nothing had happened. Why would he detach himself? He seemed content at the top and wasn't showing any signs of distress. Nothing went near him either.

·
Registered
2,566 Posts
Some good news, I hope:

"All of these usually attach to something when they’re small by secreting a number of tough strands that are called byssal threads. These threads are produced by a specialized organ (the byssal organ), and they’re sort of like spider’s silk, as they’re produced in a liquid form that hardens quickly and can stick to bits of gravel, rubble, or solid substrates. The threads are produced on the underside of a clam, and can thus be used by them to stay put. Later in life some species will let go of their byssal threads, though, once they’re big enough for their own weight to keep them in place."

http://www.tfhmagazine.com/details/articles/giant-clam-placement-in-the-aquarium-the-reefer.htm

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the info NFSkids. The clam is shy at the moment and closes as soon as it sees people come up to the tank but so far it has stayed put whilst I was at college.

ChiWing, I'm not entirely sure. Most of it was made of up byssal threads, I sincerely hope it isn't the gland. The opening under the shell seemed to be lined with tiny tentacles like you'd see on the inhalant siphon.

During the last few days I did notice the clam tilting itself to the side but I assumed that was normal. I didn't expect it to let go of the rock.

·
Premium Member
11,065 Posts
Ah, that's good. I've never looked at the bottom of mine so I wasn't sure. Was it leaning away from the nem? Maybe it was getting stung and that's why it jumped.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ah, that's good. I've never looked at the bottom of mine so I wasn't sure. Was it leaning away from the nem? Maybe it was getting stung and that's why it jumped.
The anemone was a good 10cm from the clam at all times. The only invertebrates that got near it was the baby lettuce Nudibranches and the occasional snail.

Here's what it looks like at the moment:

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks! I'll see if I can pick those up at some point. The clam has been nicely opened today and hasn't fallen off the rock it's on, unless it reattached already? I'm not going to touch it to find out though.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts