The Reef Tank banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
okay so my one of my balloon mollies had babies today. i have a few of them in my twenty gallon tank. it had 15 babies! that is how many i have caught so far at least. and i have put them all into a breeder net. how fast do these grow? how long will it be until i can release them into the tank with the adults? i don't want them to get eaten but it seems like it would be better if i put them into the main tank. would they be able to find food if they were in the main tank, like if i was just regularly feeding the adults twice a day like normal? or would i have to add extra crushed up food for them. is it better to keep them in the breeder net or let them back go into the main tank? i do have a lot of cover in the tank, a small ball of chaeto and a lot of rocks, with sand substrate. the tank is brackish water.
thank you in advance,
tim

·
little fishy girl
4,061 Posts
when i had freshwater and had mollies i just let them have the babys in the tank and i had lots of cover and most of them did live and they keep having babys so you will have many many more

·
Mermaid in disguise
2,475 Posts
when i had freshwater and had mollies i just let them have the babys in the tank and i had lots of cover and most of them did live and they keep having babys so you will have many many more
I agree. I have balloon mollies that just had babies and most of them have survived. they are about 2 months old and almost as large as the parents but haven't got much color yet. all my fish are relatively small so they couldn't have fit the babies into their mouths easily, so I suggest that if you have larger fish to put something in the tank that only they can get into such as a pile of rocks so that they can fit through the small crevices and hide.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just decided to let them out of the net because they looked so cramped in it haha. And even if a few do get eaten... she had like 17 babies. I'm sure they'll be fine. Thanks for the help though. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts