The Reef Tank banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Crazed Fish Whisperer
2,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got home and stared in to my tank with my flashlight..well...all of the sudden something in the water caught my attention...so I focused the beam at it..then I saw another, and another.. they were everywhere in the front corner of my tank.. so, I got out my magnifying lens...took another look...BABIES! Tons of baby peppermint shrimp! I saw my shrimp with eggs when I bought her..and they hatched! I have tons of them! They are so adorable...but...how do I keep them alilve? What do I do? I don't know if I can catch them...any advice would be great!

·
Registered
585 Posts
Jeremy: Congrats!! Mine did it last night. I was on the phone and their she went, shooting out babies by the hundreds. Unfortunately (?) the fish enjoyed the fresh food.

Very very few make it to the rocks. There's nothing you can do for them. The ones that survive will find their food in the tank. Don't expect many to survive,

It is cool though

·
TRT Staff The Mominator
10,503 Posts
Jeremy,

Congrats! :)

You can raise baby pepps but you need to be set up for it and have food cultures available.

Do a search on The Breeder's Registry for raising pepp fry.

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Congrats Jeremey on the new peppy's!!:D

I watched my peppermint release some one time and the fish were there for a fresh meal!:(

·
Registered
418 Posts
Congrats! I thought the same thing the first time mine had babies. So I got the book "How to Raise and Train Your Peppermint Shrimp" by April Kirkendoll. You wont be able to do much to save these babies, but if you get the book, you might be ready for the next batch. If you have a large tank with lots of rock....good luck catching her....um....him...(they change back and forth) I finally managed to get 2 into my refugium. The second point of difficulty was hatching brine shrimp to feed to the new babies(these are actually much smaller than the pepps)You had to time the 2 hatchings just right or continueously keep hatching brine(they only live a day or two). Anyway, its very interesting reading and you just might really be successfull!
Good Luck!!!and keep us posted.

·
Crazed Fish Whisperer
2,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I did siphon them out..they didn't look as happy this morning...so I put them in my refugium where there are no predators and no powerheads to get to them...lots of stuff like caluerpa and rock to cling to..etc. I have added some phyto, some crushed up flake food, a little selcon tht they can swim through.. not sure where to get the other things people are suggesting or that I have read. I am praying the best for them!

·
Registered
418 Posts
I got my brine shrimp eggs at Petsmart. They sell little hatcheries and additional tubes of eggs.....less than $8. Worth a try.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts