The Reef Tank banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Going Broke
1,606 Posts
digital_dragon,

Hopefully you'll have a better experience than I did. I ordered 9 buckets and 7 of them were destroyed. Actually 2 of them didn't even make it. and 2 buckets came in plain white buckets. At the end, Petsmart shipped about 12 buckets and at the end, I finally bit the bullet and taped up the othe buckets with broken lids. Hopefully they will last.

I explained to AS and Marineland the lesser quality bucket/plastic they are using, but did not get any response. I even took pictures and showed it to them, and explained how it was going to hurt the on-line's bottomline. Guess they don't care. Thus I will never buy IO in bucket form. Just their 50g bags.

Petsmart, however, handled this situation very well and I am very pleased with their service. As for AS/Marineland, they need to take lessons from Petsmart. Oh, I even called them to express my situation and that saving a few buckets on the bucket is going to cost them in the long run.

If you want pictures, I can go dig them up.

· Going Broke
1,606 Posts
Oh man, Casey, you had to go and ask. :D

Keep in mind this was all of UPS doing. Not Petsmarts fault. And partially AS/Marinelands fault for trying to save a penny. The hobbyist always get it in the end. :D

Ok, had to go dig it up (bad memories).

Pict1.jpg - The lid is completely destroyed and UPS taped it back up and stuffed quarter of the bucket with paper to prevent salt from spilling further.

Pict2.jpg - The 2nd bucket's lid is cracked and had to be resealed as the salt was attract moisture from the air and harden the salt over time.

Pict3.jpg - The lid from Pict1.jpg bucket.

Pict4.jpg - Bucket #3's lid look ok from the outside and when I opened it, the lip was cracked.

Pict5.jpg - After I wrapped the buckets to prevent moisture from damaging the salt.

· Going Broke
1,606 Posts
Oh, and these were the better handled buckets. I had one where the lid looked fine, but the bottom was moments from popping loose. Had to transfer it to an old IO bucket (when quality was there).

· Going Broke
1,606 Posts
It's just online. Petsmart keeps their online and store inventory separated. It's too bad. Sure would be nice to buy it online and then pick it up locally.

· Going Broke
1,606 Posts
Tom, I'm sure the UPS guys dropped the buckets on purpose. It's a 60lb bucket. The older style buckets used to with stand this and when I ordered from Petsmart about a year ago, all the buckets showed up without any problems. If you have an older IO bucket, compare the two and you'll know what I'm talking about. I tried to shed my concern to IO 3 different times and they simply ignored my concerns. :mad:

· Going Broke
1,606 Posts
digital_dragon let us know. Maybe UPS just hates me. :(

JennM, I also picked up a bucket of IO 200g from the local Petsmart and the bucket was the same. I was hoping for the old bucket style. I wanted to reuse the bucket for water changes, but will use it for my garden. I just don't trust their new buckets.

Jim

· Going Broke
1,606 Posts
some please take a picture of a bucket. I want to see if the bucket is the same or different. or maybe UPS hates me. I only asked them to carry 9 buckets. :)

· Going Broke
1,606 Posts
Thanks Casey. Can I have my salt bucket back??? :D

That's the old style bucket that lasts. The ones I got was a flimsy ones. Okay, maybe someone did listen at AS/Marineland.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.