The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I ran across this today after Tom Wyatt and I just brought back 16 buckets from JennM's shop in Canton, GA. Petsmart has Instant Ocean 200 Gallon bucket for $32.59 and the shipping maxes out at $10.99. I just bought 5 buckets and the shipping for the whole order was $10.99. It is on backorder but your credit card will not be charged until it ships. I am sure this will not last long as Fosters and Smith quickly changed their shipping policy on this when they where selling the Instand Ocean 200 Gallon Bucket for $27 and change with $9.99 shipping so if you want some salt cheap jump on this before it changes. For the 5 buckets that I ordered it averaged out to $34.50 per bucket delivered.

Here is the link:

http://www.petsmart.com/fish/shopping/products/product_726.shtml

I verified on their website to make sure there wasn't any weight fees added to the shipment and their website said that it would be added to the shopping cart price and the be seen in the final check out and it did not show up on either one.

Here is their shipping policy:

Rates
Shipping Charge = Basic Rate + Additional Fee (outside continental U.S.) + Weight Fee (for food and litter)
Basic Shipping RatesBasic rates are calculated per shipment address. See table below for standard shipping/handling charges, based on your merchandise total, for within the 48 contiguous states, including APO/FPO.
Up to $25.00 $6.99
$25.01 - $50.00 $7.99
$50.01 - $75.00 $8.99
$75.01 - $100.00 $9.99
Over $100.00 $10.99
Added Fee for Shipments to Canada, Alaska, Hawaii, Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico & Guam $10.00

Standard shipping/handling charges apply only to ground shipments within the 48 continental U.S. states and APO/FPO addresses. Orders are shipped by either UPS Ground, which has delivery on weekdays only, or by U.S. Postal Service, which will deliver Monday-Saturday.
For shipments to Canada, Alaska, Hawaii, Virgin Islands, Puerto Rico and Guam an additional $10.00 will be added to the standard shipping charge. All orders to Canada are shipped via UPS Canadian. Orders to Alaska, Hawaii and Virgin Islands are shipped parcel post. Average shipping times to these locations are 2 - 3 weeks.
Added weight fees apply only to orders including food or litter and will automatically be added upon checkout.
Weight FeesThe total weight fee is based on the cumulative shipping weight of all dog food, cat food and litter in the shopping cart. Weight fees are based on actual shipping weight and not product weight. If weight fees apply, you will see them listed for each item in the shopping cart and at checkout.
Up to 5.9 lbs. $1.00
6 - 15.9 lbs. $2.00
16 - 25.9 lbs. $4.00
26 - 49.9 lbs. $8.00
50 lbs. and above $10.00 + 50¢ / lb.over 49.1 lbs.

As you all know Instant Ocean is going up in price so if you need to stock up this is below what lfs can get it for at their cost. Tom suggested that I pass the information on to everyone.

Earl

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
Buzz_Hog said:
I get my IO for $35 at the LFS and they are the buckets with the free pump in them....
Heh, must be nice...

better buy it while yu can at that price. btw, Aquarium Systems has been purchaced by Marineland, and Tom Frakes is no longer with IO part of AS...

I am sure that has nothing to do with the proposed increase in salt prices...

·
Super Moderator
22,766 Posts
Yup,checked into it too, but with my discount at the Petsmart stores,i can do as well or better there, plus i watch my wholesellers,,and jump on IO , when it is on sale(plus no delivery charge)
do i need to go into my $15.59 a 200g bucket of IO story at Petsmart again? LOL
one time deal,,snarked up on that,,,,
plus the $29.99 + discount deals,,,,till Petsmart got wise,,,,
anyone need empty IO buckets? :rolleyes: :funny:
Thanks for the link,,,tho,,,,,,,,:)

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Junkzoo,

For those who are not lucky to get it at $15.99 or even $29.99 plus discount this is a pretty decent deal. BTW have you seen your distributors have the option to buy IO in a 50 Gallon drum. We have a lfs that had a huge swimming pool size aquarium and they had 50 Gallon cardboard drums of the salt and I was wondering if it was possible to buy it that way instead of the 7 Gallon buckets that make 200 Gallons of saltwater.

Earl

·
Super Moderator
22,766 Posts
Earl, BTW, my telling of my "great deals" are old news,,,my Petsmart now prices IO at $49.99,,,with my discount,it's about the same as Petsmart.com's,,,
on the large barrel of IO,,,i seem to remember seeing it somewhere,thought it was at Aquatic Eco- Systems, but a search on their site,,,did not support that,,,
if i find where i saw it,, i will pass it along,,,

·
Registered
565 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Junkzoo,

The reasoning behing the 50 Gallon Drum is that you would get the eqivulant of 7.5 of the the 200 Gallon buckets and because you are buying it in bulk and in commercial container instead of the retail containers it would stand to reason that it might be cheaper. Then if you kept your salt buckets transfer the salt from the drum to the individual buckets and store them. Buy getting the salt in that large of quantity and not having it in the retail containers one would assume that you could get the price lower than $34.00 a bucket. If you or anyone knows if you can purchase IO in that big of a size and where please post it here. I know that you can get Kent Salt Mix in 50 Gallon commercial drums so I would think you could get the same from IO. It will be intresting to find out.

Earl

·
I'm Back
1,686 Posts
Thanks for the tip. Just ordered 4 buckets.

Does this mean I have to do more water changes? :)

·
Super Moderator
22,766 Posts
Yup Earl,,will try to find where i saw it at,,(shipping might be i killer)
BTW: you have PM,,,:)

·
Going Broke
1,595 Posts
digital_dragon,

Hopefully you'll have a better experience than I did. I ordered 9 buckets and 7 of them were destroyed. Actually 2 of them didn't even make it. and 2 buckets came in plain white buckets. At the end, Petsmart shipped about 12 buckets and at the end, I finally bit the bullet and taped up the othe buckets with broken lids. Hopefully they will last.

I explained to AS and Marineland the lesser quality bucket/plastic they are using, but did not get any response. I even took pictures and showed it to them, and explained how it was going to hurt the on-line's bottomline. Guess they don't care. Thus I will never buy IO in bucket form. Just their 50g bags.

Petsmart, however, handled this situation very well and I am very pleased with their service. As for AS/Marineland, they need to take lessons from Petsmart. Oh, I even called them to express my situation and that saving a few buckets on the bucket is going to cost them in the long run.

If you want pictures, I can go dig them up.

·
Going Broke
1,595 Posts
Oh man, Casey, you had to go and ask. :D

Keep in mind this was all of UPS doing. Not Petsmarts fault. And partially AS/Marinelands fault for trying to save a penny. The hobbyist always get it in the end. :D

Ok, had to go dig it up (bad memories).

Pict1.jpg - The lid is completely destroyed and UPS taped it back up and stuffed quarter of the bucket with paper to prevent salt from spilling further.

Pict2.jpg - The 2nd bucket's lid is cracked and had to be resealed as the salt was attract moisture from the air and harden the salt over time.

Pict3.jpg - The lid from Pict1.jpg bucket.

Pict4.jpg - Bucket #3's lid look ok from the outside and when I opened it, the lip was cracked.

Pict5.jpg - After I wrapped the buckets to prevent moisture from damaging the salt.

·
Going Broke
1,595 Posts
Oh, and these were the better handled buckets. I had one where the lid looked fine, but the bottom was moments from popping loose. Had to transfer it to an old IO bucket (when quality was there).

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.