The Reef Tank banner

Which one is more reliable , the optic sensor, or the floaters.

• Optic sensors

Votes: 1 12.5%
  • Float valve

Votes: 7 87.5%
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi , just trying to buy an auto top off , but confronted with some problem about one. I've tryed the one with optic sensor and it didn't work. Suppose to be the best , better than floaters, what do you think. Floaters or optic sensors for you. For your info, optic sensor don't work near other pumps and magnet of anykind. Thats the one i tried and it was overflowing; the pump magneting field apparently was disturbing the sensor. at the store it worked fine and in my biocube , forget it. But the question stands wich is really the best or necessary, by which i mean reliable for the price.

·
Premium Member
5,051 Posts
I just manually turn my water on and off to fill my reservoir. Is your system for a reservoir, or do you use it to directly fill a sump?

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I just manually turn my water on and off to fill my reservoir. Is your system for a reservoir, or do you use it to directly fill a sump?

Well in case of a biocube it would be in the third chamber where the return pump is. The sump of the system i guess. So the RO reservoir would be on the floor and the biocube is on its stand , higher. The pump would be at the bottom of the Ro reservoir lower than the biocube sump. So i would put my two sensors in chamber 3 of the cube, the level floater and the emergency floater as well. Can't use the optic one for me , but in general which is better. In my case, no choice, its the 2 floaters, but generally who's the best one.

·
Administrator
46,888 Posts
I have only used float valves but found they worked well enough , just a little cleaning on occasion and voila :)

·
Premium Member
7,007 Posts
I've never used anything but float switches...and I've never had one fail.

Oh man..should I have said that? Now I'm doomed!!!:eek:

·
Administrator
46,888 Posts
Its going in the third chamber of my biocube.
I am not familiar with the layout on those but I suspect that the chamber you want to use is pretty small making it hard to install a traditional float valve. Is that the chamber where the water level drops from evaporation?
On a typical sump the return chamber for the pump is usually seperated from the rest of the sump by a divider, that keeps the sump level constant except for the return chamber and that's normally where a top off feeds into as the water level drops from evap

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I am not familiar with the layout on those but I suspect that the chamber you want to use is pretty small making it hard to install a traditional float valve. Is that the chamber where the water level drops from evaporation?
On a typical sump the return chamber for the pump is usually seperated from the rest of the sump by a divider, that keeps the sump level constant except for the return chamber and that's normally where a top off feeds into as the water level drops from evap

That's exactly where its gona be. With the return pump, the chamber is 3"X6". The auto top off.com will fit, its 1 " wide.

·
Administrator
46,888 Posts
So that activates a remote pump that pumps water into the chamber from a remote reservoir? A small pump out to do the trick :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts