The Reef Tank banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for suggestions for an auto top-off solution to maintain the water level in my tank. I need something reliable and maintenance free, as I will truly be out of town. Does anyone have any solutions they have been happy with or suggested solutions to stay away from?

Thanks,
Matt

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
mattcsmith said:
I am looking for suggestions for an auto top-off solution to maintain the water level in my tank. I need something reliable and maintenance free, as I will truly be out of town. Does anyone have any solutions they have been happy with or suggested solutions to stay away from?

Thanks,
Matt
If you are handy with electrical projects, you can peruse the DIY section for one of the float switch projects, however, I personally have been using the Ultralife float switch with relay (it is already plug and play) for many years on several systems without any failures. There are some caveats about setup that make these awesome little switches. Just hook them to a powerhead placed in the bottom of a reservoir (like a 5 gal bucket), run your line from the powerhead outlet to an open pipe above the water level of the reservoir (to break siphon when the power to the powerhead is cut by the float switch), and you're ready to go.

Several folks do this with a Kalk reactor in line to supplement Ca and alk as well.

See the product at this clickable link

·
The Muddy Mod
7,007 Posts
gee whiz Tom and Butch are so rude sometimes.
Geez...I AM sorry! I didn't even notice! Welcome to TRT!!:dance:

·
Registered
26 Posts
auto top off

<HR style="COLOR: #d1d1e1" SIZE=1> <!-- / icon and title --><!-- message -->my auto top off works like this, My ro unit is teed off, one line running to 30 gal holding tank for water changes and the other line is run right to the sump. I drilled a hole in the sump where I wanted the water level to be and installed a float valve I got from ---- for $11.00. I think marine depot sells them too. My set up has worked perfectly for a year now. water level is allways the same. this is good if you have a finnicky skimmer like i do [aqua c 120]. Now in the event my float valve should stick open or have a power outage. I drilled another hole in my sump, about 3/4 inches and made a diy bulkhead with a male and female pvc coupling.I used silicone to make it water tight. I clamped a hose to the bulkhead. The hose and the ro line run through a 1 inch hole I drilled in the floor. The overflow runs to a 30 gal. holding tank(rubbermaid trash can) in the basement. I also have another hole in the floor behind the tank for water changes. I pump 30 gal. down to holding tank in the basement. then pump 30 gal. clean salt water back to main tank via a piece of garden hose cut to length. I use a mag pump to pump water. I know is method is not for everone, say, if you live in an apartment. but it works for me. good luck

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
whatevva said:
If you have , or can have, an RO/DI line to your tank, then take a look at the Oceanus Poseidon Controller

http://oceanussystems.com
I second this system. I use the same exact system but by a different maker. I love it. Never have to fill a resevoir or store one. It has two float switches in case one fails. I run mine through a kalk reactor as well. Its by far one of the best investments I have made.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Welcome to TRT! Stick around, you'll learn a lot.

I have a simple $6 float switch hooked up to a small powerhead. I know that it's not the best way (relay is better), but i have had no problems. If you have the $$, buy something you can just plug in out of the box. If you like a little DIY, check out the DYI forum.

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
Geoff said:
Welcome to TRT!!!

:wavey:

gee whiz Tom and Butch are so rude sometimes...
:nuts:

Welcome to TRT!

:D

I was thinking about something else...
:rolleyes:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts