The Reef Tank banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
We bit the bullet, drilled the hole in the floor and got the auto top off hooked up this weekend. Wow what a difference, the tank is much easier to deal with!

The monster skimmer is also working much better with a consistent level of water in the sump. We actually have dark skimmate that smells, I was wondering what all of you were talking about before, because mine was more ocean-y scented than anything. Not now!

Our new fish are all doing pretty well, the only one I worry a bit about is the Rock Blenny (Lawnmower). We don't have hair algae, and he is very slow at finding the Nori which I'm keeping on the rocks for him constantly. My mistake, I didn't realize that a Rock Blenny WAS a Lawnmower when I ordered him.

The clowns are eating as are the fire fish and the wrasse. The large barred goby that replaced the orange sand sifting goby I ordered was not what I had in mind... I think he's too big really for the tank, and I wonder if he wouldn't swallow anything he could fit into his mouth. Like the antenna goby I'm missing. My fault for saying to send a sand sifter to replace the orange spot.

Any ideas on how to entice the LM Blenny to the nori?

Sue

*edited to somewhat correct spelling errors, my apologizes I had surgery yesterday and obviously the pain medication didn't improve my spelling abilities.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Figure out where it likes to graze (or try to graze) and clip the nori in that spot (or use a rubber band to attach it to a rock, if it grazes on certain rocks). It might accidentally graze on the nori surface, accidentally get some into its mouth, and discover that it is edible. Some individuals seem to be very slow to catch on the the fact that the foods we put into the tank are edible. The one I have now at home discovered flake food, I think, by accidentally grazing in spots where the food was laying around on rocks and natural algae growth.

Once they get eating things other than natural algae growth off of surfaces they are real pigs and eat just about anything. I had one that would eat from my fingers. They are very cool fish.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts