The Reef Tank banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I'm new to these forums and need help with shutting off my pump based on the water level of my secondary tank. I'll explain more.

1) Pump in sump needs to shut off if water level in above tank or main tank reaches a certain level. Optional: An alarm or light come on if this condition happens.

2) Pump stays off until I can fix whatever the problem is.

3) Once problem is solved (if any), I can reset the pump or turn it back on and resume operation

I have done research already on this topic and saw a DIY project but to be honest, I am no electrician and I will struggle unless someone can walk me through the steps like talking to a 5 year old.

Neptune system is out of my budget right now.

Any suggestions for me? :idea:

Thank you!

Chris

· Registered
5,584 Posts
One option is the Blueline Pump Saver I have never used one personally, but they tend to be pretty reliable. In fact its nothing more than a basic circuit breaker, but instead of a fuse its a water level sensor that will break the circuit if there isn't enough water in the sump.

If you set this high enough (not too high otherwise the evaporation might trigger it) then this will save you from a lot of water ending up on the floor.

· Super Moderator
Fry Daddy! Multiple tanks, reef, seahorse
33,751 Posts
I'm not following your question, are you having issue with a water not draining down to the sump? If so what are you using a overflow box and tube and afraid it will lose it's siphon. Most the time people have a shut off if the sump level is to low to save the pump.

More information on your set up will help

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm not following your question, are you having issue with a water not draining down to the sump? If so what are you using a overflow box and tube and afraid it will lose it's siphon. Most the time people have a shut off if the sump level is to low to save the pump.

More information on your set up will help
I hope I can explain better and thank you for responding.

I have a DIY overflow using several pvc pipes and elbow joints, but my fear is it will lose siphon or get clogged and not drain water into sump properly while pump is still pumping same flow rate into main tank.

If for some reason the water from main tank doesn't escape as it should and water level rises, I like to have some method of shutting down the sump pump below like I mentioned in my original post before it floods main tank.

I want something very reliable and proven.

What does everyone use out there ?

· Super Moderator
Fry Daddy! Multiple tanks, reef, seahorse
33,751 Posts
Then if you have a pretty constant water level when the system is running a low level warning in the sump with a shut off would work. The one Crazy about salt would work. But a secondary float switch in the display would also be good if you can find a switch to cut off power when maxed water level is reached .

If you can post picture of your overflow maybe we can see what can be done to correct the issue of losing the siphon. Not sure if it ever happen to you or if this is just a safety precaution

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What kind of sump do you have? If it has baffled on the return section there should not be enough water volume to over flow your DT.... I would be more concerned with your pump running dry.....
Good question, my sump is 40g and main tank 90g and it isn't baffled so its basically 2 tanks joined together. I have lots of plants in the 40g (sump) and a few fish (corys and pleco). I know a real sump tank is baffled and understand the reasons for it but I didnt want to baffled it so i had much more room for plants.

I just need a good and reliable solution if main tank starts to overflow for some reason to shut off sump pump from pumping into main tank.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.