The Reef Tank banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
11,345 Posts
I use acrylic rods to not only lift my entire rock pile 4" off of the substrate but to secure some hard to stack pieces

3/4" for suspending the rockwork, no drilling required...i just start stacking........... and 3/8 to 1/2 for securing specific rocks to other rocks. Just take a masonry bit and drill some holes in the rocks at the angle you want it. You can make some incredible looking rock displays that way AND you cannot see ANY of it if done correctly.

Here is a link to the first one i built...ive made some improvements to the original design

http://thereeftank.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70387

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
where did you get those rods and what did you use to cut them fly guy?

·
11,345 Posts
leveldrummer said:
where did you get those rods and what did you use to cut them fly guy?
The first rods i used i bought from the local plastics shop. He charged me $29 apiece for a couple of 6' lengths of it. I didnt know any better so i paid that for them.
I just bought 3 more 6' lenghts of it for my new projects from mcmaster carr for $11 per.
I just use my mag 77 skilsaw to cut the pieces to length....... of course, thats what i use for cutting pvc too :funny:, and anything else less than a couple of inches in diameter
I then just use a table grinder.......to shape...i mean.....machine the ends. Im a table grinder machinist.:p Lathes are for ninnys............and for when you need something perfect of course.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts