The Reef Tank banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
oh boy, red slime is consuming my LR and covering my sand. I cut my light time to 8 hours which only slowed the growth. I have been checking my nitrates every other day since I got my corals, and they have been a steady 5ppm. I just increased the flow in my tank, moving the power heads out from behing rocks, but I don't know how much is too much for my shrooms and zoos along with my feather duster. Now, the feather duster sways more than I think they like.

So what can be done about this menacing slime? I've been tooth-brushing my rocks too often, and i want the good algae growing.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
VWD said:
I have to say you have a water Quality and flow problem if You are having red slime taking over, What kind of Top off water do You used, If tap that may be a problem, You may have too much in the way of Phosphates and organics,
:agree: Agreed, also cut your feedings to only a couple of times a week. Skimm really wet and do large water changes.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Red slime sucks!!!
Check for PO4 and post numbers..
Low flow, Po4 and Old bulbs all help with cyno. When bulbs get old the spectrium changes which seems to help cyno grow. Over feeding can help the problem also.
What type of water do you use?
I had a battle with cyno and I fot a phosban reactor and it has helped alot. I feed too much and I used Kold steril water for a while which did not help me any.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
my bulbs are only 1.5 months old and I have been using phos-ban for the past two weeks. Is 5ppm of nitrates too much? I don't know what else it could be other than the low flow. Only time will tell now that I moved the power heads from behind the rocks. I really hate this stuff!

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
oh and as for feeding, I only feed 2 or sometimes three times a week.

·
Registered
56 Posts
cyanobacteria red slime algae

you need to get some chemiclean, and use some type of phosphate absorber and some carbon to keep pollutans as low as possible

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Coraline said:
you need to get some chemiclean, and use some type of phosphate absorber and some carbon to keep pollutans as low as possible
I use phos ban and carbon

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
until you get it under control try red slim remover. I had a really bad case a cpl of yrs ago in my fish only tank. With in a day or 2 most of it was gone. Once you get it under control you can find out whats causing it.

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
be very carefull when using those quick fixes. they will not only kill the cyano but will also kill the beneficial bacteria in the system. remember cyano is a bacteria and not an algae. you will then have to cycle the tank again if you kill off the beneficial bacteria.

what kind of skimmer do you have?

the best things to do are siphon out as much of the cyano as you can during water changes and crank the skimmer up so that it is producing a wet skimmate. this is a long term fix. it may also take a month or so to take affect.

do you have any wet/dry/cannister filters on the system?

G~

·
Registered
107 Posts
Agree with Geoff.. Have you tested for PO4? post some numbers, cyno feeds on PO4 and it may even test 0 but still be enough in the water to feed the cyno.
Phosban is great stuff and may take several weeks to kick in enough to make a difference. It last for 3 months if your levels are not super high.
I would only use the quick fix chemicals as a last ditch effort to get it under control.

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
I'm sure those guys are correct. I did it on a fish only tank. I've only had a reef for a few months so go with the info they are giving you.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
What kind of substrate do you have? I made the mistake of deep cleaning my plenum....red slime! Too much Nitrate sucked up from the depths or something. Suck as much out as you can during water change. Red-Leg Hermits will help with the cyano, but only as part of the overall solution.

·
Registered
959 Posts
I was / still am dealing with this to some extent, I am wet skimming and increased flow to the effected areas, I also try to feed only as much as the fish will eat with hardly any hitting the ground, I think I am starting to win the war lol.

·
Registered
56 Posts
red slime

good water flow, low pollutants, more snails and hermit crabs maybe some sand sifting creatures, keep ph at recommended level for reef setup some good live sand and live cured rock. maybe some reef vital DNA by marc weiss co.

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
what kind of substrate is this? if CC than get midevil on it and deep suck it with a vacuum. that will remove most of the trapped detritus that is releasing phosphates back into the system.

what is going on is this. where cyano is growing is where the phosphates are. they are at a low enough level that you will not get a reading on a test kit. the SB is full, so it is leaching the phosphates back into the system. this is done at such a low rate that the cyano is uptaking all of these phosphates, hence the reason you will not get a reading. you need to get the phosphates out of the substrate. if it is a CC substrate than a good deep cleaning is in order. if it is a SSB than you can clean the top inch or so. difficult to do with a siphon, but possible. added flow to keep detritus from building up in certain areas will help.

G~

1 - 16 of 16 Posts