The Reef Tank banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Gruff But Lovable Reefer
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i need some help\ advice here. i recently bought some mushrooms and one single shroom was detached when i got home. i put it in a small cup with several small rocks on the bottom hoping it would re-attach to one. so far no luck. can i glue it to a rock? if so what kind of glue, how long can i have it out of the ater, etc.
i short step-by-step would be great!
thanks

AG

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
best thing would be to use some fishing line, or bridal lace, or a rubber band, tie it to a rock loosly just tight enough to hold it, but not tight enough to make it split. and put it in a good flow area, it will attach pretty quick that way, maybe a couple days. not sure if you can glue mushrooms, but if you can, you want to use superglue gel, make sure its gel, and only use a tiny bit.

·
11,345 Posts
get a dry rock and put a small drop of super glue GEL on it (i like loc-tite brand). Let the glue sit for about 30 seconds on put the shroom on. Make sure you place it accurately as if you were to accidentally drop it mouth down on the glue it will kill it(or usually will anyway). Let it sit for about a minute or so out of the water. Then place in a low flow area. Dont look at it as it will be P****** and look awful.:p It will be fine the next day though, promise

Earlier today i did that with a ricordia and accidentally left it on the coounter for 20 minutes instead of a minute or two. He was fine too although i really dont recommend doing that on purpose.....

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
well there you have it, glue is ok!

·
Gruff But Lovable Reefer
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
is the gel an easy to find item as oppsed to to regular superglue? it is a small mushroom so the rubberband method will be a challenge! i was considering just dropping him among the rock in my tank and letting nature run its course. but i thought i better try "real" reef keeping techniques first.

AG

·
11,345 Posts
Use the gel. Home depot and walmart both have loctite brand gel. There are many brands of gel but the normal will not work on mushrooms..it will run and burn the majority of the creature. FYI-every place the glue touches it will burn and kill. Not a big deeal but you want to just use a dab and it must be gel for softies. You can get away with normal for some stuff but it is best to always use gel.
Part of the reason i like to let it dry up a bit before putting the shroom on it is to reduce the amount of the shroom that it actually touches...then by letting it sit out it makes a nice bond that isnt going to come off easily......and will give the shroom time to bond with the rock on its own.

Im a professional flyfisherman AND have tied flies for production in the past and I cant get the hang of the tying them down part.....glue......a little dab'll duya...WAY easier and more effective than tying or strapping them down IMO.

·
11,345 Posts
thekid55 said:
dont mean to be mean but attaching mushrooms and alot of other soft corals is not to healthy. .
Im not so sure that is not healthy as it is downright mean and a little bit of torturing. :rotflmao: BUT, i promise to make it up to them for the rest of their lives.

but seriously, it is a lot less stressful and damaging to the animal to nail it the first time than to dink with it over and over until you get it right.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I have had good results using a toothpic. I push the TP through the shroon away from the mouth and the stick the TP into a hole in the LR where I want it too attach. Push the shroon down tight and after a few days too a week its attached. Shroons are tough so don't worry about hurting them.
The Gel can work but shroons are slimmers and can be hard to glue sometimes.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts