The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These green stars have been looking worse every day....I have not been dosing calcium and strontium and iodine...But now i have started....I have heard that you can keep an aquarium without dosing anything, overtime all that stuff just collects in the tank because if dosn't evoporate.....

I don't have excellent flow in my tank right now....Only 2 hob fiters moving that tank at 600 gph...But the flow is always constant....

Ph 8.2
Salinity 1.022
nirates 15 ppm
Hardness 11
Calcium ?
amonia 0
nitrite 0
temp 80
lighting is 220 watts vho....

I am setting up some power heads next week with a wave master pro....Will this help them out? They just don't look like they are going to make it....The crazy thing is I have another patch that is looking great, but the other three look terrible....Someone please help...(I am not feeding them) Do you need to?

Thanks guys
Hesstondc

Attachments

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
May 2003

Attachments

·
Summer and Alyssa's Daddy
2,679 Posts
Dang, Maybe instead of meeting you at petland I may come up there and bring my chemistry kit.

Ray

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Man it is terriable.....

I don't know what is going on with this....It may be water flow

This pic is of a frag that is in better flow.....

Attachments

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here are my yellows

Before (may 2003)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Now here is the pic i took yesterday

Attachments

·
2,679 Posts
Clay,

What is good for meeting you for the polyps? I will be able to meet you tonite.

What size tank do you have?

I will bring a powerhead to see if that helps. You may have to clean it since they just came out of our tanks (Clean the pump part). If you bring a sample of water, we may be able to talk Zane into checking it. (I am Petland Pals member and they get free water checks)

Ray

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ray I am a petland pal member myself......I will take my water up there and let them check it...they checked my dkh and said it was fine last week....I don't know what is going on....

Thanks for the power head man...Hopefully I can meet you up there tonight.....I will buy some dts from you if you have any extra...

Shoot me a time on when I can meet you up there...I get off at 5 and will need to run home and grab the rock and some water....So I think I can come back down sometime after 6:30 I guess...You see what those were before I hope you can get them back....

·
2,679 Posts
7 oclock sounds good I am thinking. I will be in a red rodeo. I will bring you a couple of bottles of dts.

What size tank did you say you had?

Ray

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
55 gallon....

Sorry I forgot to post that....

I am going to be ordering some more power heads in the next few days...

·
2,679 Posts
Well I will still bring one. Hopefully around 160 gph to at least get you by.

Ray

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Ray...

I will see you there man....7 sharp...

I drive a silver civic coupe with AUBURN all over it..

·
Registered
160 Posts
15ppm nitrates is a problem

What's your phosphates? High phosphates will inhibit calcification, however, neither of the corals you have will care about this!

Yellow polyps are NOT photosynthetic, they need to be fed.

Star polyps dont care about calcium levels, they dont take direct food, they like lots of light, and gentle current.

Iodine is Nasty stuff, it's an oxident, which is what makes us all grow old and get wrinkles, mom didnt put it on cuts for no reason! I dont recomend anyone dose it unless they have an iodine/iodide test kit, which is like 8 steps, really hard to use. Most everything should get plenty of iodide from fishfood.

Calcium wil not "build up" unless you overdose it, in most tanks there will be a calcium demand, but it wont be from star polyps, or yellow polyps.

·
Registered
132 Posts
hesstondc said:

I am going to be ordering some more power heads in the next few days...
What size do you need? I have two 140gph powerheads for sale. if you want them you can have them for cheap. They were only used for about a month.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I should have been feeding them from the beginning.....But it is hard to get them to accept brine shrimp....I am going to pass them on to Ray and see if he can get them growing....15ppm high ocording to most reefers....I am going to do a 9 gallon water change tonight and then hopefully that will get them down and I may take the filters out of my wisper 60 and add micro algaes in the space with a light for them to grow.....That should take care of my nitrates in a few weeks.....

But 15ppm should be killing my stars, and if so, it is not killing all of them....

WHY GOD WHY?

Hesstondc

·
Registered
101 Posts
If you're going to be at petland they sell really small cheap powerheads (or used anyway) I cant remember the brand, but they come in 100-200-300 GPH models and used to be 19-25 dollars a piece. The only problem is you cant restrict the flow with different heads otherwise it burns up the motor. Theyre made by the same company they get their driftwood from. I think they have them over at Showcase too for around the same price.

·
2,679 Posts
15 ppm is not that bad. I have seen far worse. Naw I think there may be a flow issue or they may not like the water.

Ray

·
Registered
160 Posts
I have gsp's in 0 flow, and in extreemly high flow, they really dont care about flow, if they have enough light they grow like crabgrass

·
Little fish in a big pond
5,916 Posts
What tank mates do you have with your star polyps? (fish, corals, inverts-- everything)

Do you run any carbon? Are there any other corals in the viscinity of the failing colonies?

15 ppm NO3 is not at issue, IMO.

Jenn

·
Registered
160 Posts
The highest I let my no3 go is 5ppm, if it's 10 I do changed, but I do primarily keep sps.

I also never let the no3 get to 0, I try to keep at between 0 and 5 but not 0 by feeding.

I view 15ppm as extreemly high and go into panic mode, I do let my nano get that high, no sps in that tank.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts