The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I got my eel a few months back and he was a pig. Ate squid like there was no tomorrow. He ate daily about 4-5 chunks of squid and never had an issue. Got my shark and he was the same. Nightly feedings for both. Over a week ago the eel stopped eating and I tried different pieces of squid, shrimp, clam and everything. He would turn from it. Come out like he would when he was hungry he just wouldn't eat anything. Even soaked in garlic.

Well the eel passed about 5 days after he stopped eating. Now here it is a few days later and my shark has stopped eating. Same thing, squid, shrimp even got silversides. He will take it and spit it out. Took a chunk out of the silverside but won't eat it. I'm at a loss as I don't want to lose him or any other fish.

My Tang, fox and lion are still eating like normal but so was the shark last week. I did a water change Monday and before that it was:

Ammonia - 0
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 10 (diatom bloom ATM end cycle)
P.h. - 8.2

Any ideas? Please help!!

·
Premium Member
6,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If there is a parasite is there something I can do? The shark bit the silverside like he was gonna eat it, then spit it out. I really don't want to lose another fish. I find it weird it is striking the squid eaters and no one else (I feed the starfish and emerald crab it too both are fine).

What can I do to help or save them?

·
Aquatic Philosopher
15,750 Posts
Yes, my understanding was that eels were to be fed once every 2-3 days. I am not eel expert so I might be wrong but I seen that because feeding is so exciting, it is easy to over feed (especially since where I hung out at a LFS and everyone wanted to see the eel eat... customers and kids). I don't know about the shark but they are sensitive to a lot of things so there could be a lot of stress-related feeding refusals.

·
Premium Member
6,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I dont know really. He used to get excited when I squished squid water in the tank and he would hunt for it. Now that don't even do anything. I put the silverside on a clip last night and it looked like it was swimming and had 2 cuts. My tang ate some of it even. He swam around over it ignoring it fully. I'll get scallop and muscles but I doubt those will work either.

·
Premium Member
3,899 Posts
Have you tried live food? Get a couple large neon tetras the wiggling may entice him. That's how I get my newly hatched sharks to eat. Maybe even a goldfish or something. He may like the live food or the chase. :)

·
Premium Member
6,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I tried the live goldfish tonight. Still nothing. One thing I did notice is when he was swimming he would sometimes spazz and it's hard to describe but almost swims on his side for half a sec and back to reg swimming. His eyes are fine, no clouding no film no anything out of the normal other than eating. No one else has any idea or anything I can try?

·
Premium Member
6,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've had my hand in there with a cut on it and never felt a sting. I ordered a grounding probe and bought the GDFI outlet (or whatever it's called; the one that trips on a power surge) and plan on installing them tomorrow. One thing I read is Copepods act as parasites and can kill fish? I've got a lot of huge ones in my tank (a bit smaller than a grain of rice), enough I see them on my glass. Should I worry about those?

·
Premium Member
7,439 Posts
How big of a water change did you do?

·
300 Gallon Reef Tank
2,123 Posts
My eel swims like that on occasion. I feed it every 3-4 days. I will admit that here lately it does not seem to want to eat as much but I will tell you that when I first got it, it did not eat for almost 2 weeks. My eel is a snowflake. What type of eel did you have?

·
Registered
170 Posts
well the problem could be that there is a stray voltage in the tank , also , try feeding at night . never give any of your fish goldfish , thats just asking to kill your poor fish ..also give the shark a day with the lights off , in complete darkness what ever room its in , go to your local fish market or grocery store and buy something called whiting in the sea food department , it has a really strong odor that my shark cannot resist , cut a slice of it off , don't put your hand in the tank when feeding . so buy an impale stick , and put some iodine on the sharks food , i use lugols solution for mine . feeding him when hes most active at night . i bet he will eat then .

·
Premium Member
6,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'll see if I can find some whiting today. I do have both tongs and an impale stick. Only time I put my hands in the tank is to clip the feeder clip to the tank. I'm going to install the outlet today when I do my wc and get that going as well.

As for flow I have 2 korlia powerheads pointing at the surface keeping it agitated. Skimmer in the sump as well. They don't look like they are gasping for air though. I'll post more later.

·
Premium Member
6,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, it takes 5 days from start to finish to kill. I just buried my shark. Before I did that however, this may sound morbid to some but I had to for the rest of the tanks case, I did a necropsy on him. I didnt find any parasites and everything looked healthy actually. He didnt starve to death as he was still fatish, just not a fat belly. I guess what I expected to see was parasites or something to explain it. Even if they quit eating due to stress it would take more than 5 days to kill them. Both the Eel and Shark were at the 5 day mark from their last big meal.

Please, if anyone can help me Im begging, My tang and Fox are starting to snub food and I fear they are starting the 5 day countdown. Ive done 2 WC in the last 5 days, everything is fine and water params are still as listed above. I cant be the only one to have had this happen.....

·
Premium Member
7,439 Posts
How big of a water change did you do?
In a case like this, where animals are dieing and the cause is illusive, I always do the largest water change possible. We can only test for a tiny fraction of the substances that can build up in an aquarium. People fear water changes thinking they're to stressful on the inhabitants. What's stressful is living in a system where something is killing the inhabitants. A properly performed water change should be no more stressful than changing currents in the ocean. No matter how large it is. A 10% water change probably isn't going to do much to correct the situation. If there is an offencive substance in the water, 90% of it will still be there. If fish are dieing in 5 days, you don't have time to do twenty, 10% water changes spread out over an extended period of time. The environment needs to be cleaned up now. Not tomorrow.
If you were in a factory and there was an ammonia leak, would you take your time, and slowly stroll to an exit? Stop by the fridge and grab a sandwich on your way out? Then hang out by the exit, and slowly acclimate to the fresh air outside? Trust me. I've been there. That's not what you would do. As the ammonia started burning your nose, throat, and eyes the last thing on your mind would be eating. You would run to the nearest exit as fast as humanly possible. You would bust through the exit door and gasp for a breath of fresh air. Your fish are trapped though. They don't have the ability to escape what ever it is that's killing them. Their only hope is that you can eliminate what's killing them. Odds are, it's something in the water.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.