The Reef Tank banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
You know they say when you assume, you make an A** out of U and ME. I started a thread yesterday asking about lighting, but I think I may be confused on exactly what LPS, SPS, and softies really are. I know what the acronyms stand for, but I always assumed LPS and SPS were the corals that look like they hard to the touch and are branching. But I read somewhere today that zoos are an LPS.(?) What actually characterizes the different types of corals? Just when I think I'm getting somewhere I realize I was dumber than I thought(does that make sense?)lol...
J

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
sps, are small polyp stony, those are most of the ones that look like tree branches, the polyps that extend are very small, so you can usually still see the skeleton.
LPS are large polyps, they have a stony base, but the polyps that extend are usually very large and you cant see the skeleton

soft corals dont have a hard base to them, i dont know where you read it, but i think zoo's are a soft coral

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
As far as the whole sps lsp thing goes, its merely just a hobbists way of generalizing a category. It holds no basis in the scientific community. Thats why theres the whole KPCOFGS. So if you accidently mistake an SPS for an LPS, dont sweat it... the taxonomy police will probably just look at you confused anyway!

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
tax·on·o·my ( P ) Pronunciation Key (t
k-s
n
-m
)
n. pl. tax·on·o·mies
  1. The classification of organisms in an ordered system that indicates natural relationships.
You give me too much credit, but nothing a little dictionary.com won't solve!

What is KPCOFGS? OK, so it seems that most SPS require MH, from what I have observed(LFS). Is there a general guideline to lighting requirements for SPS, LPS, and softies? Or is it specific to each individual coral?
Thanks for the help, I'm learning a lot here.
J

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
usually you can say its specific to each individual species of coral.. but MHs for all SPS is a pretty good guideline. However! There are many species of SPS that you can do well under less lighting.

KPCOFGS = Kingdom, Phylum, Class, Order, Family, Genus, Species

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK, so I'm not AS uninformed as I thought. Thanks for all the good info.
Hey xaoss, what are you a science teacher or something, or am I just that dumb?
J

1 - 7 of 7 Posts