The Reef Tank banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Ughhh.. Dinoflagelettes..
1,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
To most, memorial day is a bar-b-que, a reason to have another drink and relax, a day off work...

To the rest of us, it's a day to remember our friends, our brothers, father and mothers... the ones who won't be there for the bar-b-que, the ones who we will secretly toast that drink to, the ones who have done their work and paid the price...

To those that remember what this holiday is about, I salute you...

Remember to turn your headlights on out of rememberence of our brothers.

http://www.msn.americangreetings.com/view.pd?i=142181332&m=4231&rr=y&source=msne999

·
Banggai Mommy
2,395 Posts
Good Morning Buzz and everyone else. Yes, it is a day of rememberance.

Maybe "Band of Brothers" will be coming out again soon. Or I could just buy it - which we've been talking about for some time. Wonderful series, if anyone hasn't had the opportunity to see it.

My grandfather jumped with the 82nd Airborne in France. He came home, but so many others did not.

Danielle

·
Super Moderator
28,346 Posts
Thanks, Buzz for starting the AM greeting like this today.

It is especially important to us here in the Upstate of SC as we lost one of our own in Iraq at only 20 years of age :(

Danielle - I hear that deep felt pride for your grandfather and to those that didn't return.

And to all the men and women here on the board who have served for us, we decorate our hearts in your honor.

·
Super Moderator
22,700 Posts
Thanks for the tribute, BH.
:beer: :)

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
What a way to start a Good Morning thread! Thanks Buzz for acknowledging us here on the board who have served their country and to all of those who still are wearing the uniform. God bless to all of them!

Well I'm a little tired and sore from the fishing trip yesterday but it was a much needed time to spend with my son and Pat. Pat had alot of fun and we plan on a few more trips this summer. Can't see wasting a $17 fishing license!;)

Going to the store today if they are open and get three more timers(one for the fans and two for the MH bulbs in the hood).

Well I go into the doctors on this coming Friday for a follow-up on my diabetes. Everything should be fine as I continue to stay focus on my goal at hand!

Everyone have a very safe Memorial Day and remember your loved ones and give them all a hug!:)

·
Registered
559 Posts
Thanks buzz you wake up call is much appreciated. I have many relatives in the armed service plus served for 4 years with the 89th. At least there are people out in the world that still know what this holiday is actualy about. Thanks and god bless

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Thanks Jay I cant add anymore than what hasnt been said above.

Like JOhnny said

Everyone have a very safe Memorial Day and remember your loved ones and give them all a hug!

Jeff

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
buzz, you said a mouthful!! you even said it better than Lee:

And I'm proud to be an American
Where at least I know I'm free.
And I won't forget the men who died
Who gave that right to me.
And I gladly stand up next to you
And defend her still today.
Cause there ain't no doubt I love this land.
God bless the U. S. A.

·
Administrator
49,124 Posts
Remember

Powell Quote

When in England at a fairly large conference,
Colin Powell was asked by the Archbishop of Canterbury
if our plans for Iraq were just an example of
empire building by George Bush.

He answered by saying that, "Over the years, the
United States has sent many of its fine young men
and women into great peril to fight for freedom
beyond our borders. The only amount of land we
have ever asked for in return is enough to bury those
that did not return."

It became very quiet in the room.

·
Crazed Fish Whisperer
2,611 Posts
heh heh, i almost started a good morning thread at 11am cause i didn't know this was it. :) A very warm Good morning to everyone out there!

Tis a great day to remember those fallen in battle, as well as those serving today! Of couse, we should remember them daily in thoughts and prayers, but it is nice to remind people who forget. :) Everyone have a wonderful wonderful day!

·
TRT Staff The Mominator
10,503 Posts
Good morning folks and thanks Buzz for setting the tone for the day.

Indeed, take at least a moment today to remember all of those that have served, those that are serving today and especially those that paid the price for freedom.

·
Super Moderator
28,346 Posts
ahh, Doug! and to that, may I add:

In Flanders Field
By: Lieutenant Colonel John McCrae, MD (1872-1918)
Canadian Army

IN FLANDERS FIELDS the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place, and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

That is one of my favorit poems. There's more about it here
http://www.arlingtoncemetery.net/flanders.htm

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.