The Reef Tank banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my new ASM Skimmer G3 with Gate Valve mod hooked up in my sump and I am wondering how to get a drier skimmate. Where should the bubbles be in relation to the collection cup and the skimmer neck. Also whenever I add water to the sump the skimmer overflows is this common? Should I be adjusting the Gate Valve each time I add water?

Thanks,
Josh

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Josh- for drier skimmate set it about 1/4 way up the cup. For the sump level- keep in consistent. Maybe get an auto top off? Otherwise top off at least once a day or more if you can.

·
TCMAS Member
5,667 Posts
My water levels fluctuate some and I don't see any real fluctuations with my skimmer using the recirculating mod. I recommend doing that mod alsoe. A auto-top solution is also important when you get time to implement because makes maintenance much easier not having to worry about topoff.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
David, what do you use for a feed pump on your recirc mod? Is the mod as simple as drilling a hole in the skimmer body and putting in a uniseal for the sedra pump and another hole for the feed pump?

·
TCMAS Member
5,667 Posts
Yep, pretty easy actually. Just turn the sedra pump around with the input facing the skimmer and draw a circle to know exactly where to drill it. Being clear pvc it drills really easily with just a regular wood hole saw. When I did mine I tapped a 1/2" fpt the hole for the feed pump but if I did it again, I would just use a uniseal for it too and use PVC to reduce down to 1/2" fittings or whatever fittings you plan to use.

As for a feed pump, I'm using a small eheim pump because I already had it around. I think it is rated at 70gph. One of the mini-jets like the 606 ( I think is the model # ). What's nice about the mini-jet pump would be you can adjust the output of the mini-jet vs. trying to use like a maxi-jet 400 type pump.

·
Registered
104 Posts
David, question on the mod only having a 70gph pump as your feed. Is this not underfeeding your skimmer and allowing more unskimmed water through your pump and into your tank?

I have the ASM-G3 with the waste gate but removed it because of the microbubble issue. Should these two mods be running together for optimal output?

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Even if I turn my gate valve completely open the bubbles are still rising almost to the top of the collection cup. Could I have done something wrong somewhere? I just want a drier skimmate otherwise this wet skimmate just keeps coming and coming and its kind of annoying (were talking a 1/2gallon a day). I dont know, I guess maybe that is normal with these skimmers.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
I had that problem recently and it ended up that the air tube had fallen into the water. If the air tube isnt fully open it will be drawing too much water and not enough air. Check it out, report back :)

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Can you fit the skimmer into a plastic bucket then put the whole thing into your sump? Plastic shoe box or storage bin would be fine... It doesn't need to be particularly strong if there is water around it. The return water would have to flow into this bucket first and your sump would still have to be able to hold enough water in the case of a power out.
But, if you can do this you will have consistent water level and the skimmer will catch more crud and you wont have the top off problems.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think the problem with the skimmer was that every time I turned the gate valve (more open or closed) I didnt realize that it took a few minutes for the bubbles in the chamber to catch up with my adjustment. So now I am adjusting the gate valve every 5 minutes or so untill I get it where I want it. Just out of curiosity what would be a normal amount of skimmate a day wet or dry?

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
no such thing as normal.
I cant get "dry" (but tones of wet) skimmate when I am curing rock, at least not for the first week or two... and when I don't feed a tank I cant get dry skimmate either (but can get some colored wet).
From there it depends on how much I feed... or if some critter finds a power head :(
On an established system with a few fish and stars to feed (once a day) I get about 10 cups of dry a day. (guessing)

·
TCMAS Member
5,667 Posts
90_berlin_joe said:
David, question on the mod only having a 70gph pump as your feed. Is this not underfeeding your skimmer and allowing more unskimmed water through your pump and into your tank?
As far as the point your trying to make, Would you want more water going through your skimmer that wasn't skimmed as much or less water that is more skimmed. I don't think it matters that all the water going through your sump has to go through your skimmer each and every pass.

Years ago there was a technically book about counter current skimmers. I wish I could remember all the key points as it was very technical in nature. ( I'm sure Dirk would remember this book, it is pretty outdated today but probably still in print ). On a counter-current ( regardless if using reciculating or the old air stone type ), the longer the water is bombarded with bubbles the more it will remove. In that book, the optimum was to make sure every drop of water went through your skimmer 3 times a day. I wish I remembered the calculation to determine this but back when I had a 190g tank that equated to about 170gph or so. So according to that calculation and my tank only about 110g it should be about 90gph or so but really I don't think within reason there is such a thing as too slow.

·
Registered
104 Posts
David, great point! I have always been lead to think that skimming everything that went back was the way to go.

Where would you then put the return pump/feed tube? bottom/middle/top of the skimmer?

·
TCMAS Member
5,667 Posts
It goes near the top. check out asmskimmer.com for proper placement. You want the new water to collide with and have to pass down through the recirculating bubbles before it exits to get the true counter-current effect.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts