The Reef Tank banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Upon setting up my new ASM G3 in my sump it just overlfows the collection cup with water and since I have a drain on the collection cup it just overflows it. What am I doing wrong? I also have the gate valve mod on it which is completely open, I have tried closing it which just makes the problem worst.Any suggestions?

josh

·
RIP Steve Irwin
5,500 Posts
thefishtank-if he has the gate valve mod the riser tube is no longer the issue
jquigley78- you need to turn your feed pump to a lower setting maybe as it sounds like the water is going in faster than it exits.

·
RIP Steve Irwin
5,500 Posts
The gat valve should also be midway up on the body with a T as your discharge water going out in the vicinity of the start of the neck or union at the bottom of the skimmer cup.

·
Registered
284 Posts
it might flood when u first set it up... let it sit for like a week til a slime builds up and u break it in

·
Registered
4,889 Posts
No recirc mod = no feed pump.
are you running the SEDRA 5000?
could just be needing a break in period.
ASM should be plug and play.
good luck

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes it is the sedra 5000. Everything else is correct though I believe. NO Recirc mod. Just the gate valve mod.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yes I think I figured out the problem. the tee should be lower than the collection cup neck otherwise the water will fill the collection cup. Problem is that ASM gave me too much pvc and the lengths dont match up so I am going to have to trim the pvc to get it lower than the neck of the skimmer. Also should the gate valve be before the tee or after the tee?

·
Registered
4,889 Posts
the long pc of pvc should come off the valve and down into the sump water.....it should not be the one comming off the skimmer body.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Go to asmskimmer.com and click on modifications and you will see a picture of the gate valve mod. showing what oyam is describing

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I modded it myself and its working great! Now I am just trying to fine tune the Gate Valve to get it to run a little dryer. Thanks for all the advice, much appreciated all.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts