The Reef Tank banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my new G-3 running for about three weeks and everything was working well. I got the gate valve option and had adjusted it for a good dry skimmate. This evening out of nowhere, I noticed my tank started to cloud up. When I opened my stand the skimmer was going nuts and had overflowed the collection cup right into my sump! This morning the cup was empty. I havn't fed or done anything to the tank today. What's up with this thing! Now I feel I can't trust it. Please help.

Dave

·
uber-stupid
4,781 Posts
Aerosol maybe?

The sump level will have alot to play in how your skimmer is operating from day to day as well.

Maybe this is not much help for you.

·
11,345 Posts
three90s&125sump said:
Aerosol maybe?

The sump level will have alot to play in how your skimmer is operating from day to day as well.

Maybe this is not much help for you.
I created its own section in my sump for my g4+ so the water level wont vary.......i havent actually started the system up however......i have a question for anyone running a g4...g4+ a bonus.......it will save me a minute or two on startup....

If we were to identify the main chamber of the skimmer as "100%", top to bottom, what water level gives you a "medium" skimmate between wet and dry???

Sorry for the slight hijack moondog.........i would agree with it being something in the air for whatever its worth in your situation.......

If what i just asked makes no sense, i understand...but somebody will understand.......i think

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've got an auto top-off system so the sump level stays very stable. I guess I'll leave the gate valve all the way open tonight and see what happens by morning. Has anyone else had this happen on a ASM. My previous cheapo skimmer never overflowed. The thought of all that black skimmate leaking back into my tank makes me very nervous. Thanks for the help.

Dave

·
Ô¿Ô
834 Posts
I have same skimmer and never a single problem, no mods either. Just turn it on and keep a consistant external water level, since it should be in the first chamber of the sump you should have no trouble with water level after you adjust your baffles if need be. I think my baffle sit at 9" maybe 10". but its been running 4 months no problems, clean about every 4 days. Sounds like maybe there is an addative you've been driping thats causing foaming? Just a hunch?

·
uber-stupid
4,781 Posts
Fly Guy said:
I created its own section in my sump for my g4+ so the water level wont vary.......i havent actually started the system up however......i have a question for anyone running a g4...g4+ a bonus.......it will save me a minute or two on startup....

If we were to identify the main chamber of the skimmer as "100%", top to bottom, what water level gives you a "medium" skimmate between wet and dry???

Sorry for the slight hijack moondog.........i would agree with it being something in the air for whatever its worth in your situation.......

If what i just asked makes no sense, i understand...but somebody will understand.......i think
I am running a G-6 but it is the same thing only BIGGER. When I am running mine wet (most of the time) I have the top of the water column (just before it foams) at about 3 inches from the top of the final riser tube (on the G-6). When I am running it dry (almost never) I have it at the bottom of the final riser tube. When (for short periods of time) I am running it super wet I let the bubbles burst into the collection cup. And when I am blasting my LR I let it over flow into the collection cup and replace with fresh ASW. I have a auto drain mod on it so it does not over flow.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I've got the gate all the way open and 12 hrs later the foam is still going over the top tube slightly. Everything else seems okay. It seems strange that the level was perfect with the gate about 1/4 way closed for weeks and now it needs to be open all the way. I think I need the overflow mod.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts