The Reef Tank banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
:wavey: I started with a jbj nano. It was cool for a while but you will quickly realize bigger is better. I upgraded to the aquapod 24 IF YOU GO THIS ROUTE GET THE MH 70 W. But now I still want bigger so saving for the BIG tank. If you just feel you need to start small the only filter media you really need is a 1 sponge(comes with 3), carbon, and I recommend the purigen bag(removes toxins ammonia, nitrite, nitrate.) Save the extra sponges to have replacements and ditch the bio balls and ceramic media. Make sure you get the dx version(better lighting). Other than that you will need about 20 lbs of sand and lr. I got live sand in a bag and cured live rock, it eased the cycle but wont eliminate it. Get test kits(salifert great) Ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, phosphate,ph. Put it together and then tie your hands to a chair to wait for the cycle to end. Month or two. As long as you keep the bioload light(2-3fish max) really don't need a skimmer or anything else. The only other thing that I recommend is a refractometer(hydrometer's can throw the salinity off enough to harm corals.) Down the line may want a chiller(ica) but will depend on how cool you keep your home. I just leave the feeding hood up and place a fan to blow over the tank and keeps temp right at 80. Reef keeping is addicting btw!

Oh and before I forget now that I bored you silly:
Welcome to TRT!:wavey:

For those that read this before I edited it yep I mixed up the refractometer and hydrometer bit but It's fixed now. It's been a really long night and got 8 more hours before I can finally crash.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I ended up getting the 12 gallon dx aquapod from my local fish store. I also picked up a nano skimmer but I cannot figure out how or where to put it to save my life. I am gonna list the products I bought today to make sure I didnt miss anything.

and a few other things there is no pictures
-hydrometer
-reef buffer
-powerstrip with timers for all three lights

If there is anything I missed let me know.

·
Registered
395 Posts
from what i have read in other forums the nano skimmer is not that great. I have a 5g nano and i chose to not do a skimmer

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok I guess i am gonna take back the skimmer since it has bad reviews, I am planing on mostly coarls and 3-4 fish in my 12g tank. I am not sure on how many clearner shrimp or emerald crabs I need?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The local fish store is run by marine biologists so I am pretty sure they know what they are doing. They sell water all mixed with correct levels and several types of live rocks. They suggested I started by adding 8lbs of LR, 1-2 cleaner shrimp and 3 emerald crab tomorrow. With what I listed I can still have 3-4 more fish correct? I was thinking of 1 clown fish, and a goby and maybe another fish. Can I put an anemone is this tank with the standard surface skimmer? Also any ideas on coral (original lighting) I am really cluesless on saltwater tanks. I just want a decent looking tank that will be colorful and enjoyable.

·
Premium Member
14,531 Posts
Welcome to TRT and congrats on your new tank
12g is pretty small for 3-4 fish I have a clown and a yellow watchman goby in my 24g nano cube and thats it for fish

I would start with just live rock for now and add the shrimp and crabs in a few weeks to be sure the biologocal filtration is well established

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
I would slow it down just a bit. Give the time for the tank to settle. The fission is bad but there is a remora skimmer out now that is supposed to be good. My 12 gallon was skimmerless and did fine. I think you have to modify the hood to use a skimmer on a dx (cut it).

·
Registered
410 Posts
I agree with jenajet and dobejazz! I was told to take it really slow and when I didn't, there were casualties. I'd leave the live rock and sand in there alone for a month if I could do it over.
Also, I have two fish in my 12g and it seems like a third would be too much. Trust me, I made these mistakes like 4 months ago.
Good luck!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am getting a clown and a lawnmower benny just still havent decided if i want LS or not have it all, but if i decide to get LS can it be put in there after the water is in there?

·
Premium Member
10,625 Posts
No on the blenny, yes on the clown. you need to make sure you can provide adequate feeding and swimming for them and the blenny will not do as well in such a small system. PLEASE wait 30 days minimum before you add any livestock. get all the rock in the tank and arranged first then you need to wait for the cycle to complete fully. i know it is hard to wait but your system will be much better and less issues will happen if you wait. the LFS guys don't seem to understand that so before you take their advice i would bring their suggestions here for discussion. better to be patient than lose a bunch of fish and money.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I am waiting on all the fish and coral, but it seems the water is a little warm for my likings. I am running at 83.3 and i have the feeding lid open what can i do to bring it down to 79-80

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Put a fan next to the tank and have it blowing over the tank. I prop the hood up a little so that the air gets blown over the water. You'll be amazed how fast the temp drops. Mine runs between 78 and 80 now.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts