The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Geoff said:
could you give us a scientific name? want to make sure i know exactly which fish you are talking about.

G~
lucayablennius zingaro I will double check this in a book of my dad's tomorrow, but I'm pretty sure this is the right one. Similar picture anyway.

·
TRT Staff The Mominator
10,503 Posts
Wow, that's an interesting little fish! I haven't seen them in the industry, at least out here yet.

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
I had 3 of those guys. I LOVED them but they didn't last long. The other fish didn't bother them and they were always out swimming around. I'm not sure what happened to them the just seemed to disappear. The have them at the LFS that I shop at all the time. I went there the other day to pick up a skimmer and almost bought 3 more but the salesman told me they don't seem last long in the home aquarium.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wonder why that is. I'll ask my LFS next time I'm in there. They may know something about them. Maybe they just have short lifespans...?

·
the shutterbug mod!
2,394 Posts
found this on deepseaimages.com

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
I'm not sure why they died. I never saw then eat but they had to be eating something because they lasted for about 3-4 months. Their really tiny the big one was only about 2 inches. The dealer ay my LFS told me they ate alge. Every once in awhile they seamed to be cleaning the other fish. I think the coolest thing they do is when they go to sleep they sleep face to face and curl thier tails so it would look like a little s on the coral.
If you decide to ge some let me know how it goes I would love to have some more.
Patrick

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
that very well could be but I thought pod eaters tend to hope from rock to rock? These guys swim most of they day. I dont remember ever seeing them searching through the LR, when they slept or reasted it was on top of my ph.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
it is prolly a pod eater of some kind. which would explain why they tend to only last about 4-6 months.

So if they had the proper diet, they would last longer?

·
Keen Reefer
2,164 Posts
I know this a very, very old thread, but I would just like to post a picture I found would indicate they may not be algae or pod eaters.

·
Registered
392 Posts
The nose looks like its for plucking inverts out of coral. Maybe it needs a wider ranged nutrition, like flat worms too. The tail stays curved too? Like a seahorse, to hold onto things so it wont drift away? Interesting. I would leave it in the ocean

1 - 20 of 20 Posts