The Reef Tank banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys-

Ok- Interesting things happening with my tank-

It's a 30 gallon with 4.3 watts per gallon Actinic and sun (Coralife Aqualights - bilinear-)

Parameters are all in check with trates at 10 (still working on that)

Here's what's IN the tank-

2 Scooter Blennies (to help with the copepods- we'll get into THAT in a second)
1 decorator crab (another issue)
1 curlique anemone (I know, I know )
1 Flame Scallop (looks more like electric eye scallop and it was a GIFT from LFS- I didn't buy it)
2 Scarlet Cleaners
1 Camelback
2 small snails
1 HUGE snail (a gift from God wih my algea cleanup! AWESOME SNAIL!)
1 Red Leg Hermie
1 Blue Leg Hermie
Unidentified polyps
Green star polyps
1 brown brittle star with orange striped disk
1 green mushroom which has moved and I can't find it

Ok- The scallop, polyps, and culy Q all have full extension, and are doing VERY well- I target feed them all Phyto, and brine, and butterfly (raw) prawn pieces. All seem to be VERY happy- The fish are all eating except my Royal Gramma- He stopped eating two days ago and this morning was taking a DSB nap :(

Everyone else is fine- eating, healthy, water is in good shape- the ONLY thing I could think of was maybe he was Cyanide caught? Is there anything else it could be? He wasn't being harrassed by anyone that I KNEW of- Now- this decorator crab- I came out yesterday and the little *&%! was JUMPING up trying to catch my fish!!!:eek: I thought these guys were safe to have in a reef?!?! I've got him taking shrimp from my hand and he has stopped chasing my fish- I'm wondering if he was maybe harrassing my royal gramma? Perhaps put stress and he died from that? :(

The scooter blennies- yeeesh- I got them (with the ability to trade them in in a week or two for something else) because of these copepods. Well, One was fat, one was skinny- now they are BOTH fat- (Is there such a thing as a pot belly fish?!) I come out, turn the lights on, and there are literally THOUSANDS of copepods on my glass!!! The scooters have been in for a couple of WEEKS now! They also eat brine shrimp, but GEEEEZE- Is it time for a Mandarine maybe?!?

Help!!!

On the algea front- I got a giant snail- bout the size of a golf ball- he has a swirly pointy shell and he is AMAZING- Nearly all my algae is gone- However- will this inhibit the growth of coraline? What's a girl to do?! lol

HELP!!

Jennai

·
Registered
790 Posts
Hey Jen, here's what they are going to tell you about:

Is it time for a Mandarine maybe?!?
You have to wait for your tank to establish. Show us some pictures...

-Paul

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
Considering you have a 30 gallon tank and 2 scooter blennies I would notrecomend a Mandarine at all. The Mandarine and the scooter blennies will compete for the same food and eventually you won't have enough for any of them. If you really wanta Mandarine wait at least 1 year with no other "pod" predators in your system. How much LR do you have in your tank?

·
Premium Member
34,435 Posts
you could send some of the pods to me!! i can not seem to get pods going in my tank. bizarre

i also would not recommend getting a mandarin. they need a huge amount of pods to be happy. they also like to graze over a lot of rock. i would just stick with the scooters.

G~

·
Premium Member
18,603 Posts
Jennai on the decorator crab it is 50/50 on being reefsafe,I got lucky and got one that doesnt mess with anything.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
See, that's the thing- The copepod population just keeps getting bigger and bigger even WITH the scooters in there- They aren't permanent residents- they are on loan to try and control these pods- but they aren't even making a dent in the population! I was under the impression that I wouldn't be able to support even 1 blenny with such a small tank- I've got two adults in there and being in for two weeks now you would think I wouldn't see any pods at all- They've tripled at least!! I guess this is a good thing?! Perhaps I should trade in the blennies for a mandarine and then trade the mandarine after he's cleaned them up? The LFS is really cool about lending stuff- they've been great :)

Geoff- I'd be more than happy to send you a baggy of sand- These things are out of control in my tank- be careful what you ask for! lol

I'm going to take some pics of the decorator- he's got deep sea yellow gorgonian on him, ALIVE that "blooms" every day (white polyp thingys on it to eat come out all day) he's also got green stars that "bloom" every day as well as sone unidentified polyps also in "bloom" every day- He's also SO funny- he saves a piece of shrimp every time I feed him- sticks it to his back then eats it later!! SO funny- he's eating from my hand now- hops up and down to get it from me- How much should I be feeding him? I give him a dime size piece every day but he always acts like he hasn't eaten in a month when I feed him-

Will I ever get the hang of this? :)

Jennai

·
Professional newbie!
404 Posts
If i were you I wouldn't be upset about pods. I can't get em to grow for the life of me....

I may bark up your tree for some of your sand when I change-up my substrate.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
SUPER MACRO copepod photo

I'd be more than happy to supply some :) Seed the tanks of the world! lol- I did take an ultra close up photo- but it may be too detailed to determine if these really are copepods- In reality these are SUPER tiny- you can only see a white dot when looking at it- Fortunatly, I have a pretty decent camera and was shooting a photo of the decorater and got these two on the glass- there are thousands of these things on the front glass alone- Let me know what you guys think - I'd say this is probably a 1-10,000 x size of these- here they are :) (I'm going to start naming them soon!! )

Jennai

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
whew... thats gonna be a lot of names. better get a baby name book :)

·
Ughhh.. Dinoflagelettes..
1,262 Posts
I'm in the same boat with Jennai.... I just found a breeding colong of pods.... There's about 100 mature pods and 10's of thousands of baby pods running around in a 3-4 inch square area of sand...

I've got pods running all over the glass, all over the rock, all over everything....

As soon as I can get my Lion into the 125, I'm definately gonna be picking up a Manderin... I really don't think he'd be safe in the same tank as the lion...

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Let me know if he gets them into a managable state when you do that :)

Besides- I'd love to have a mandarine to look at for a month or so until he gets traded in :)

Keep me posted!!

Jennai

·
1,262 Posts
Will do.... it won't be for a couple months... my 125 is just starting it's cycle so the tank rearranging won't happen until the cycle is complete...

·
Registered
288 Posts
a 30 is way too small to support a mandarin. Dont worry about all the pods, there population will even out as food and refuge space declines, Ive had pod booms early on in tanks, let nature take its course, no need to add predators for the explict reason of getting rid of pods.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey guys- sorry to seem terse, but if you read my messages you will see I have NO intention of KEEPING a Mandarine- It's VERY frustrating to get lectured on something like this when my messages aren't being read :) I'm talking of just borrowing one to get some of these pods out- I can barely see through the glass- So PLEASE- stop lecturing about having too small a tank for a mandarine :) Once again, I'm talking of keeping one for a week or two and then trading it in once the pod population is down. What's the point of a tank if you can't see inside?

(and for what it's worth- I DID keep a mandarine in this very tank for over a year until I took the tank down and SOLD him. He was fat and healthy the whole time I had him, so never say never :) )

·
1,262 Posts
Very well and true, but borrowing fish and forcing them to go through multiple unneeded accilimitizations is pretty stressful on a fish as well...

The pod population will take care of itself as mike mentioned... It's all about supply and demand of the food chain.... Just as the pods are an abundant source of food for the manderain for a short period of time, so is the source of food for the pods.... They will die off in due time just as the manderain...

"What's the point of a tank if you can't see inside?"
Why help something needy if there's no reward in it for me... All of you subjects are living for my entertainment... :rolleyes:

Welcome to Californication...

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
After consideration

*sigh*

ADDED LATER:

Buzz-hog

That was terribly rude, not to mention HIGHLY insulting. I thought I'd found a friendly place to come and share an interest. I was obviously mistaken.

Good luck to all of you guys with your tanks-

Jennai

·
Registered
340 Posts
If you aren't going to listen to answers with an open mind, why bother questioning?
(apologies to the trt admins in advance)

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
Jenn nothing in your posts I read indicated to me that you only planned on renting the mandarine, it came across as you were going to get one no matter what anyone told you. Most of the people I know on TRT would never recomend something like this with possibly the exception of a fish that has a very specific diet and feeds on Problematic/parasitic creatures that can occasionally be found in our tanks but need to be gotten rid of. The only reason for "renting" a fish of this sort is because once the food supply is gone it will die. So better to pass it along to another needy reefer so that it can live, even if that means that it should live in another tank.

If you've kept Mandarines before then you must already know thier needs and be ready to meet them. So if your already kniowledgeable about Mandarines, why ask for opinions about whether it's a good idea or not? Unfortunately we are going to answer your questions honestly even if the answer isn't the one your looking for. This is not a flame or meant in any way to give you grief, just an explanation.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Re: After consideration

Jennai said:
*sigh*

ADDED LATER:

Buzz-hog

"That was terribly rude, not to mention HIGHLY insulting. I thought I'd found a friendly place to come and share an interest. I was obviously mistaken. "
What was rude and insulting? This is a friendly place to come and you won't find better. Good luck with your reef tank.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts