The Reef Tank banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
the shutterbug mod!
2,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I joined an online plant trading forum. I posted about a plant that I had extra of to trade; made trades and shipped. Then tonight at work while talking to someone at work whom I also gave a little piece to it hit me... I misidentified the plant.
Now I've traded my little ponies for over 6 years online and I pride myself on my trading feedback, not one negative ever. Then my ebay feedback, 304 with 100% positive... then I go and screw up on a brand new forum.
I contacted the 4 people that I dealt with and let them know... probably not a big deal, but it is.
Guess I just had to get that out... one gal already got back to me and was sweet and when the plant she was expecting does bloom so I can get a positive id I'm going to send her some.
I just feel so stupid right now!!! :doh: :doh: :doh:

·
Super Moderator
26,826 Posts
I agree with Chris. Stuff happens, and you handled it well, Jessica :thumbup: Some folks wouldn't even care.

·
Tang Lover
7,326 Posts
It all boils down to this....did you do it on purpose? sounds like a definite NO. Looks like an honest mistake. And I'm sure your being honest with those people will help them realize it.

Wouldn't worry about it too much. Sometimes, identifying plants can be quite a task. Besides...sounds like you know your stuff...and if YOU made the mistake, chances are...they won't really know the diff either.

You sound like you're making ammends to those you accidentally mislead. I doubt they'll have any ill will.

In a couple days...you'll all giggle at it.

·
Skimmer and Reactor
1,657 Posts
You know what - that happens a lot and I think most people are fairly sympathetic about it. I bought an Epiphyllum oxypetalum (or what I thought was one) on ebay from a lady several years ago. I still haven't gotten a bloom on it so I would have never known, but she sent me an email letting me know she had misidentified it and was going to send the true E. oxypetalum to me. They are both white, night-blooming and supposedly very similar in bloom. I'd never be able to tell from the foliage.

Now if someone could tell me the secret to getting these guys to bloom for me, that would make me happy! LOL So, don't feel bad about it. Most plant people have several things that are misidentified by the previous sellers. If you can make a correct ID on it, more power to ya. Of course, I'd never sell something that I had a possible ID on without full disclosure.

Melissa

·
Premium Member
5,051 Posts
Have to agree with everyone above. Everyone makes mistakes and you certainly weren't purposefully trying to misrepresent what you had. If you catch your mistake and try to fix it, then no harm done.

·
Sailfin
2,449 Posts
Troy trades and sells and buys carnivorous plants online all the time... eBay mostly... you made an honest mistake, it happens, and telling them is the best you can do... plus if there's a difference in value, just make it up by overkill the next time with them.

One guy, teenager, made the mistake of sending a plant he sold to Troy as a cutting like this: he didn't wait for his cutting to grow roots... he just sent the bare cutting! So Troy, the science guy... kinda laughed, planted it, added the stuff to help it grow its roots... hopes it makes it, and sent the young guy a polite "how to" on making cuttings and when to consider them ready to sell. The guy was SO THANKFUL and so apologetic to Troy, and Troy said, it's no problem... we all learn.

·
the shutterbug mod!
2,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks Shirley, that poor guy! It is a learning experience, that's for sure.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts