The Reef Tank banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
NewfieReefer
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another question:)

Are they any good for a reef tank. I have 2 powerheads on my 72 gallon and was going to add a third. Are wavemakers good? Its the WAVEMASTER PRO it's used and I can get it for half price!!

Does anyone on here have one is it worth the cash?? What differences can I expect.

CHEERS
:beer:
DERM

·
Professional newbie!
404 Posts
Wavemaker goooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood.

Basically you want something to simulate the rhythmic motion of the ocean. Its also important to have that motion to reduce the amount of "dead" flow spots on your substrate.

Be warned, I have heard stories of them burning out Ph's because of the constant surging of the pump.

·
Registered
658 Posts
I use a wavemaker on my 55 and it makes a big difference IMO. It's more of a 'natural' style waterflow rather than a constant stream.

Jimmer's correct about powerhead burnout... some pumps just can't handle it. I have MaxiJets and they work great for this kinda thing, since they have a built-in centrifugal start on the impellar.

I'm also using the Aquarium Systems Natural Wave timer, with 4 powerheads set at 20 second intervals (2 on, 2 off).

·
Summer and Alyssa's Daddy
2,679 Posts
Would SeaSwirls be a better way to go? That way you don't have to burn out a powerhead.

Ray

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
i've heard nothing but bad things about the sea swirls..

like burning out in under a few months. but i've never used one, so that info is jsut from reading others posts.

·
TRT Staff The Mominator
10,503 Posts
Jay, are you sure about the Sea Swirls? Most people I know who have them have been satisfied with them. I'm wondering if you're thinking about those ZooMed pumps...can't remember the name of them right now, darn it!

Alice

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Alice said:
Jay, are you sure about the Sea Swirls? Most people I know who have them have been satisfied with them. I'm wondering if you're thinking about those ZooMed pumps...can't remember the name of them right now, darn it!

Alice
I think that they're called Power Sweeps

·
Registered
822 Posts
I have a couple of the Sea Swirls on my return lines, have been running them about 8 months now. Never had a problem with them. Also have 4 MJ powerheads on a wavemaster pro, all behind my rock and periodically blowing them off to keep detritus from settling. I like the idea of a surge device though.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
you are right.. my apologies.. what i heard bad things about were the Zoomed Power Sweeps!!

too much info crammed into my fat head in too short a time :)

G

·
imo it depends on what type of corals are being kept...sps like lots of current...not direct current so yes they work wonderful in that respect...in a softy tank i think you wouldnt need em

·
Registered
799 Posts
A number of my corals have perked up since adding a Wavemaster Pro [used, like yours] to my setup about 6 weeks ago. Works nice, IMO. Have it on `gentle' and the rhythmic flow / slowing has made the Anthelia spread like mad, the SPS happy ... nothing has seemed to fare worse for it.

I also like it aesthetically ... have 2 colonies of Anthelia, each in one of the streams from the ph's flow through rocks ... and the `blown in the flow' with rhythmic stillness is really nice. Could watch them for hours, except I'd probably be asleep.

Have them on Maxijets, and while I can hear a very quiet noise when one of them turns on now - they seem no worse for the wear.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts