The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Fuzzy Stick Crazy
7,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
from http://www.liveaquaria.com/general/general.cfm?general_pagesid=362
Limpets Several different genus and many species make up the snail-like invertebrate family, commonly known as limpets. Limpets have an oval, laterally compressed shell that tapers to an off-centered blunt point. Limpets have a tiny hole at the crest of their shell where it becomes a point, which they use for waste and water exchange. Many of these species have a very large mantle that extends around and covers the shell. In fact, some limpets can be very beautiful with amazing colors, and make a welcome guest in an aquarium that does not contain SPS corals.
The most common variety encountered in a reef aquarium is the Keyhole Limpet. They are a common import with live rock, and are typically colored in a mottled brown, black and tan pattern, and do not have a mantle that cover their shell. The Keyhole Limpets are typically half an inch long, or smaller, and feed on unwanted filamentous algae, cyanobacteria, diatoms and even hydroids. Unfortunately, in the SPS aquarium, they will also feed on the tissue of SPS corals.
As with many of the snail species, it is best to physically remove the limpet if you are unsure of its species and diet. Some limpet species are herbivores and are beneficial to even a reef aquarium. But even the herbivores can become harmful if there is not enough food for them in the aquarium. Limpets will typically not reproduce to any significant number in the aquarium, and physical removal is usually a sufficient control for the SPS coral aquarist.

·
Jabberwocky
3,182 Posts
I had some years back, or at least I was told that's what they were, but mine looked like slugs, with little hard caps on their backs. I had an army of black, orange, and brown ones. They were algae machines. Then my hermits waged war and ate all of them. No kidding. Their little caps were laying everywhere. It was sad..:cry:

·
Premium Member
26,466 Posts
I had some years back, or at least I was told that's what they were, but mine looked like slugs, with little hard caps on their backs. I had an army of black, orange, and brown ones. They were algae machines. Then my hermits waged war and ate all of them. No kidding. Their little caps were laying everywhere. It was sad..:cry:

Stomatella Snails, very good from what I have heard, not had one yet...

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
I had a couple of stomatellas but I think they got eaten! Haven't seen either one in a long time.

·
Just send me a PM ;)
16,796 Posts
Stomatellas are the grazing bomb!

I have a dozen or so in my tank now and hopefully they will multiply like crazy in this tank like they did in my last :)

PS, I really like limpets for their look, they are a very interesting snail :)

·
Jabberwocky
3,182 Posts
Stomatella Snails, very good from what I have heard, not had one yet...
Precisely what they were!! I loved the darned things. I got one as a hitchhiker on a paly frag I bought years after all mine were gone. Within a day the darned hermits ate him.

And nate, you are indeed a google monster..

·
Jabberwocky
3,182 Posts
Awesome Goodlow, those things really move compared to Astreas. I've seen 'em kick it into high gear. I really think they're more efficient than astreas, and they reproduce readily in our systems.

Maybe if you guys find yourselves in abundance of these guys, and just so happen to be driving through Iowa....

·
Just send me a PM ;)
16,796 Posts
Nate, once I get a good healthy population I'll ship you a few :)

·
Just send me a PM ;)
16,796 Posts
Neither have I Geoff... I dunno where that info came from...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts