The Reef Tank banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to add a few sea urchins in my tank, but, everything I read says that they may mow down my polyps. Can I get some advice from someone? Any urchins in particula peopl ehave in there tanks that don't kill corals?

·
11,345 Posts
Im not positive about reef safe, but im pretty sure there are some that are................

What i AM positive about is that they are NOT acrylic safe. I spent 10 hours getting the urchin tracks out of a acrylic tank recently. I wouldnt have paid as much as i did for the tank if i knew the damage was thjat bad.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
my tank is all glass 125 gal, do you know what ones may be reef safe?

·
11,345 Posts
a Blue Tuxedo (Mespilla globulus)is supposedly reef safe. It will still knock over small frags and mow on corraline but it has short spines. I didnt pull this out of my endless reefing knowledge like Tom. ...i just did a quick google search.

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
most urchins are reef safe. they may be very clumbsy but most are biofilm/algae eaters. Diadema spp. are usually readily available. they are the black pointy ones. :D pencil urchins are also good. i have kept several over the years without any problems. i have a 2" diadema now roaming around the tank.

G~

·
Registered
657 Posts
I have a tuxedo that has never caused any problems other than once he carried around a small leather frag on his back for a few days, It does eat coraline but it grows so fast in my tank I appreciate it.

jd

·
Registered
363 Posts
I have a Pencil Urchin in my reef tank. It eat's Coralline, but not enough to leave a mark on the rocks for more than a week or two.

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
Fly Guy said:
a Blue Tuxedo (Mespilla globulus)is supposedly reef safe. It will still knock over small frags and mow on corraline but it has short spines. I didnt pull this out of my endless reefing knowledge like Tom. ...i just did a quick google search.
;)

Several spp. of urchins, some better than others, a few of the shor spined ones are venemousm and although the Diadema is reported to be also, its main disadvantage is that they are quite strong, and can move rock when they get to the 3" test size (USUALLY HAVE 12 TO 15" SPINE HALOS AT THIS POINT AS WELL). I have kept the smaller Tuxedo urchins on acrylic without any problem, however, I can see how the Diadema spp. or larger Mespilia spp might cause problems (I keep them in glass-only tanks for now, but I still have a small Tuxedo in the acrylic prop system). Jerel has an interesting Deep-water specimen, I dunno how it fares in closed systems, maybe we can entice a photo from him...

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I never had one myself, but I read about them eating the silicone in some tanks.

·
Registered
468 Posts
For every pro urchin post you read in the archives, you'll read one that says that they are hell on earth. I added a small pencin urchin to my 90 yesterday. I'll see how he does and will yank him if he ever goes near the silicone. You can never predict how a fish or critter will react to your tank or tankmates.

·
Reef Nut
1,254 Posts
I have had Tuxedo Urchins in an acrylic tank for over a year with no issues. (I killed the first 1 accidently moving my rocks) It doesn't bother my zoo's or any other corals or inverts in the tank and it has been fun to watch. (Thye pick up rocks, shells, ect. and carry them around to disguise themselves for protection - mine picks up bumblebee snails and carries them around) I also haven't had any issues with having the acrylic scratched, and I have seen it on the sides frequently.

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
behavioir will be related to genus and specie, not to urchins as a whole.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts