The Reef Tank banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Cabana Boy
2,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if there are any types of sleeper gobies that dont have a tendency to jump out of a tank. I have read about gobies having a great personality but dont want to find it on the floor. I dont want a watchman goby since they might just make a tunnel and hide all day so Ive decided on a sleeper. Now just need to decide which. Thanks again

·
Sumpless Girl
2,377 Posts
ive only had my sleeper a few weeks but hes never tried to jump out
in most cases fish leap to their doom usually out of fear. something usually spooks them...of course im not a fish so i cant speak for them :funny:

my large oscar just jumped to his death a few nights ago. he was being bothered everynight by a large catfish, not attacked just bumbed up against while he was sleeping, this was enough to send him into a panic, and this big 10" fish managed to get out of a 2" hole
i found him crispy the next morning :(
i think i should have mounted him, he was well presereved :banana:

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
My biggest complaint about the sleeper goby I had was that he was so large that he was eating my crabs and snails, and he also decided to rearrenge the DSB to his liking. He did not last long in my tank and neither did the sand.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
I say any goby may try to jump at one point or another. Just put an egg crate over the tank or something like that. I never thought my prawn would carpet suf but last wednsday, I got home from school, he saw me and leaped out of the tank onto my coffe table.

·
Sumpless Girl
2,377 Posts
ive even heard about clownfish carpet surfing
guess its just one of those things
having uncovered tanks is risky, but ive had escapee's with lids as well, an opening for a filter is just as easy to jimmy through
eggcrates are only good for larger fish, like the sleeper goby unless you have a small one.
many firefish gobies have flew straight outta tanks with eggcrate...so if the fish is small enough it wont be 100% safe

1 - 8 of 8 Posts