The Reef Tank banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mine died which was attached to my AquaC Remora skimmer. Impeller was locked for probably 2-3 days. It was almost 2 yrs old. Tank is fine :)

Anyhow I've learned many of these pumps failing and crashing tanks due to faulty seals. My dilema is the skimmer section in my sump allows a 2.5" wide pump which the Rio 1400 fit just perfect. Afraid of the Rio I replaced it w/ a MaxiJet 1200. Skimming is crappy w/ it so I'm wondering if it's safe to go back to the Rio 1200? But after searching more it seems the seal problems are fixed? Maybe mine was one of the "newer" fixed models? Any other suggestions that might fit in my narrow sump.

My attempt at a Maxijet mod didn't work so good. I did the airline in the intake but it doesn't suck any air. I guess I need to put the hole closer to the impellers. And the mesh mod looks like too much work and not sure how durable the mesh is over time.

·
Premium Member
8,278 Posts
The older rios were oil lubricated so if the seal busted they let oil into your tank. The newer ones use water lubrication so they won't nuke a tank if they stop working. I don't know if they are still unreliable or not. But if they do fail, they will be clean about it :)

·
Perfeshunal Hikk
8,887 Posts
Unless you have it from the stone age, any Rio pump you get now is water lubricated and doesn't have the issue with oil lubrication. So put a Rio on it and go with it.

If a MJ powerhead won't pull air, something is wrong somewhere as any pump will pull air if you close off the inlet enough to create suction through the tubing. As long as its close enough to the waters surface so that the powerhead can overcome water pressure. For a Maxijet, that isn't very far from the surface though.

·
Administrator
46,893 Posts
The older Rios implicated in tank failures were allegedly not UL listed, hopefully thats been addressed as well

·
Registered
1 Posts
Mine did the same thing. Switch to one of the new Rio HF. It will fit in your skimmer box. You will also see far better skimming results.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts