The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting conflicting info on these guys. One site said yes another said no. I know you cant put snails and small inverts but what about clams and corals?

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
crabs and shrimp will be lunch. they are not that interested in snails. we wanted a radiata, but got an antennata instead. :( very similar in behavior though. did not bother the snails. the problem with these predators is that if you get aiptasia it is a real bear to get rid, since you can not use peps to keep the tiny aiptasia from growing up. :(

G~

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't plan on shrimp or crabs unless they are feeders. It really doesn't mention whether they are safe with clams or not. It does say that the radiata are the more difficult. I really don't want to go with the volitans cause they just get so big but at this point I really don't know. Maybe go with a fuzzy dwarf or a antennata, those seem to adapt well and do better in home aquariums.

·
Registered
363 Posts
jenajet said:
I don't plan on shrimp or crabs unless they are feeders. It really doesn't mention whether they are safe with clams or not. It does say that the radiata are the more difficult. I really don't want to go with the volitans cause they just get so big but at this point I really don't know. Maybe go with a fuzzy dwarf or a antennata, those seem to adapt well and do better in home aquariums.
The biggest problem with the Fuzzy Dwarfs is getting them to eat frozen food....

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
that is the problem with all the smaller lions I am finding. I managed to get a dragonette on frozen so hope I have similar luck with the lions when I decide which I want.

·
the shutterbug mod!
2,394 Posts
I am very interested in this thread, please post what you decide, and why, ok?
I couldn't sleep last night cuz I started thinking about how I'd do my 72g if I changed it over... I came up with this:
some kind of lion, wish it could be a volitan, most likely fuzzy dwar or antennata.
serpent and brittle star, urchins, and one of those big spotted red hermit crabs, &/or a little lobster!
Live rock only, no corals other than maybe mushrooms and possibly xenia, but I figure if I do fowlr then I can keep my NO fluorescent lighting and save lots of money by not having to upgrade the lights.

Ok, back to Jena's thread! Sorry about that, but I'm dreamin'...

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
At the moment I'm leaning toward the antennata. I love the radiata but from everything I have read they don't ship well so when you do find one it's hard to find it healthy. There is also the cost usually about $60 and for that price I would want to know for sure that it is healthy. So at the moment my inhabitants are to be the antennata, green brittle star, snowflake eel, two very large red footed conches. I will have some lps, lta, & clams cause I already have the lighting and love my reef tank. I know I would like some other fish but havn't pinpointed what I want. Thinking flame angel and and some reefsafe tang(1). I will be going lite on the rock so that the fish have plenty of room and with the mr1 and DSB I should be fine with less rock. I have 2 velvet damsels, blue devil damsel, and a maroon in there but not sure if they will stay. If they don't leave the eel alone they will probably end up lunch! Stupid fish swim right up to him and slap him in the face with their tale.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I had a volitan, which I like more - gracious creature, no problem with frozen food since first try, and now I have antennata, "bunny" lion, colorful like painted fan, moves like a mops or basset-hound, heavily laboring (as compared to a free flight of the volitan). With this I'm chained to a live feeders - it refuses consider as a food anything that is not moving, even alive. No amount of wiggling by frozen food on the stick ever helped.

No problem with hermit crabs (blue, maroon and zebra), blood shrimp and small scooter blennies, but half of his size green chromises became a food. BTW, it helped to gain weight - lion was looking as a dried fish when I bought him. No problem with xenia, Kenya tree, hammer, GSP, open brains. Antennata, at least small, has delicate bones that don't harm corals when lion uses them as a support (other pets too prefer carpet to a bare stone :) ).

Lobster could harm the antennata lion, anything with large enough pincers can (but my small porcelain crab is OK).
Photos of my tank are here: http://thereeftank.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81245
Corals, listed above, are alive in 90g tank with 110W PB light, more than a month now. Most of them were moved recently to another, reef tank, due to nitrates problem.

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I showed pics of the antennata to the hubby and it's not the Volitan which is what he wants. So I will probably go with the volitan cause this is supposed to be a joint build, HA! I do all the work and he pays for it. Except we cant agree on a single fish! I told him if we go with the Volitan it will probably be the only fish in there. Please help. I don't want to over load my tank but come on what do you put with a fish that will be 15 inches full grown! Yes I love the Volitan thats not the problem, the problem is the 15 other fish he wants to go along with it! I know that can't be done and I won't do it so we are at a stale mate.

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Bump. Looking for opinions on what fish with the volitan and how many in a 90. I am thinking 2-3 fish max including the volitan? Suggestions?

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
i really do not think a volitan will fit very long in a 90g tank. have you looked at the sizes they can get up to? if you are planning on getting a much larger tank eventually than you can start with a small volitan than upgrade the tank later. if not than i would really keep looking at the antennata.

a full grown volitan would fill a 90g completely. they are extremely wide fish. they can easily get over 12" wide.

G~

·
the shutterbug mod!
2,394 Posts
wow, I guess it's hard to picture them that big... that's with their fins extended though, isn't it?

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks Geoff! Now that I showed him someone else thinks they are way to big he has let it go. He doesn't want a lion at all now but I think I will still get an antennata, I think they are cool and much better size. Yes volitans get huge! So what to go with the antennata? I like the flame angel. How hard are sailfin tangs? Suggestions?

·
Administrator
34,435 Posts
any of the dwarf angels will be fine with the lion. i would pick another tang though. sailfin tangs are one of the bigger tangs. they can get over 12" in length, this is fairly rare, but not unussual to see them 8" long. the other Zebrasoma tangs, it is fairly rare to see them grow to over 6" in length. you can buy them bigger, but they tend to not grow that large if gotten as a juv.

G~

·
the shutterbug mod!
2,394 Posts
I've been learning a lot in this thread, keep it going! What kind of aquascaping is best for lions? They like to perch, but they like caves too I believe?

·
Registered
363 Posts
DebsSisterFlo said:
I've been learning a lot in this thread, keep it going! What kind of aquascaping is best for lions? They like to perch, but they like caves too I believe?
Lots of big caves.... they like to hang upside down on things.... I am always amused my where I find my Fuzzy Dwarf perched... I will have him in a 125, so I was able to design the aquascaping with his full size in mind and still give him room to maneuver.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Yep, my Mombasa lion loves hanging out in cave and overhangs. They don't generally swim around much during the day, but are much more active during feeding hours (e.g., when my MH turns off and the actinics turn on in the evening).

It took some special care to get him to eat frozen food. What finally worked...1 week food deprivation. Now he eats anything I drop in the tank and is doing very well.

Good luck with your decision,

Andrew

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yep not planning on the sailfin anymore once seeing how big it gets. Thinking of just going with a yellow tang.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts