The Reef Tank banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Both my leather and bubble havnt been doing so hot since I moved them back into the tank. Sorry, I dont have my water parrameters. My other corals are doing great.. polops, zoos, hammer bubble. The leather has been looking sick since Ive had it in the temporary 10 gal for the past couple months(rebuilding my 55gal). Both corals have had hermits on them night and day eating at them..

on the leather you can see at the base of it where its rotting away..

The bubble used to fill in that yellow and red area.. the rest of the coral looks good, altho it dosnt get as big as it used to.

Is there any hope? Should I pull these out?

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
How long has it been since you moved them? I know my hammer and star polyps hate being moved and it takes them along time to adjust. Also is there a lighting difference between the tanks?

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
jenajet said:
How long has it been since you moved them? I know my hammer and star polyps hate being moved and it takes them along time to adjust. Also is there a lighting difference between the tanks?
tanks been up and running for about a month and its been about a week or so since I moved the corals..

yea, HUGE differance in lights. the lights on the 10 gal were just florecents. Got 6 39w T5's on the 55gal. Like I said, the leather has been looking bad for a while now. the bubble though.. thought it was ok, but like I said, there has been a hermit crab on it 24/7.

·
Saltwater Mom
5,869 Posts
As far as the bubble it probably needs time to adjust from the move and the new lighting. Its a good idea to acclimate them to the higher lighting. The leather if it is has tissue decay you probably want to frag the dead part off so it doesn't continue to kill the good tissue.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
fdokinawa said:
tanks been up and running for about a month and its been about a week or so since I moved the corals..

yea, HUGE differance in lights. the lights on the 10 gal were just florecents. Got 6 39w T5's on the 55gal. Like I said, the leather has been looking bad for a while now. the bubble though.. thought it was ok, but like I said, there has been a hermit crab on it 24/7.
One month since you set it up? can it still be cycling? if so it is too soon to have coral in there yet, you should have waited until the cycle is over, need to check your water to know for sure. This is probably the most likely cause. If that is not the case then they may be having a hard time adjusting to the new light and/or flow. But my first guess would be ammonia, nitrates (cycle not done).

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
when you say your leather is rotting away, I think that is pretty common amound newly introduced leather. My fiji experienced the same thing when I first put him in. and now, about a month later, hes almost doubbled in size and is always open. Now my Cabbage leather has a little bit of that and I think it will go away in time and with fearther acclamation

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
had no choice on the move.. the 10 gal was heating up so bad they would have been dead in a few more days. I lost about 20 hermits and snails in the 10 gal.

I figured it might be the cycle.. I hated to do it.

·
Premium Member
14,398 Posts
Check the water params and keep a good eye on things. Stay on top of your water changes and keep things as stable as possible. There are alot of thimngs that could be contributing to this. The move, new lighting, possible cycle. really need to check what the numbers are to eliminate possible cycle issue.
Robert

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
fdokinawa said:
had no choice on the move.. the 10 gal was heating up so bad they would have been dead in a few more days. I lost about 20 hermits and snails in the 10 gal.

I figured it might be the cycle.. I hated to do it.
Well, the stress!! What do you expect!!! give them time to calm down and acclamate! ;)

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
corals are very sensitive to changes in their enviroment. Just keep all levels in check and give them some time and they should be fine!

·
Registered
6,317 Posts
the lights on the 10 arent enough for corals, so they were probably getting pretty bad off before you moved them, i hope for the best, and good luck with them, pics dont look dead, so nurse the little guys.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Twitterbait said:
you may want to watch for a leather eating nudi as well.
Whats that look like?

thanks for the info everyone.. I moved the bubble out of the sand bed. hope he'll do better higher up. Ive also been told to cut the leather down and reatach the head. Think I'll give it a few more days and see if it makes a comeback.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts