The Reef Tank banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know anything about Idols? The LFS has some really nice Small ones (about 2") and of course the kids want one so they can name it "Gil". I was wondering if I should risk it in the reef and how hardy/needy they were. Do they live alone or prefer a school?

·
Little fish in a big pond
5,916 Posts
If you like the look of a moorish idol, please consider instead a Heniocus sp. Moorish Idols are coral/sponge feeders and extremely difficult to keep. Personally I won't stock the at all, they are considered impossible by most. Heniocus are similar enough for a child not to know the difference and some will school and are reef safe - don't have my book handy but in Scott Michaels' Marine Fishes book there is one that is reef safe, in fact TDWYATT bought two from me just the other day.

Leave the Idols in the LFS ... sadly if they die there, perhaps the owner won't order them again :(

Jenn

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was thinking the same thing about Nemo.....I love that movie - we've seen it twice - but sadly I think it is causing the death of a lot of innocent creatures. Almost every LFS I have been to recently has a "we found nemo" sign in the doorway!
So yes - I have never seen Idols in this store before the movie....and they happen to have some Hennies as well. I think I'll hold off on both for now - the tank is only a month old and I don't think either species will fare well in there yet!

Thanks!

·
Little fish in a big pond
5,916 Posts
Smart move - take it slowly.

They are beautiful fish, but best left in the ocean. Plenty of suitable look-alikes to choose from :D One common name for henis is "Poor Man's Moorish Idol".... poor man gets the last laugh because his "knockoff" is more likely to be alive in a year...

Jenn

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
I always cringe when I see a thread asking about these fish because they are so hard to keep, and too many marine aquarists try to keep them because of their beauty. I am glad you asked questions first. I believe you have made the right decision. Hopefully, in a few more years, someone will find the true secret to keeping these fish alive long term. Untill then, they should remain at home in the oceans.

Andrew

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.