The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Go evening to all...
I am in need of a lot of aragonite sand to help fill my new 150g setup. I am currently on business in SC but would like to know where I can get it in town (Jacksonville) before I get back home so that no time is wasted searching for it. Does anyone know where I might find a sand that passes the so-called 'vinegar test'? All help is greatly appreciated!

·
Perfeshunal Hikk
8,887 Posts
Any of the LFS'es carry it. Bioreef is probably going to be the closest place to 95 without being out of your way on the way home (beach boulevard) or maybe R&J, depending on where you are in St Augustine.

Call bioreef before you start home, tell them what you are needing. If they don't have it, they can get it for you.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
To be quite honest, I was trying to bypass the CaribSea expense and get the same sand but at a much cheaper price. I have done a little research and have discovered that you can get the exact same sand for fractions of the cost; I just don't know where to purchase this in J-Ville. I hate to sound so cheap, but I would like to put my money into other things besides the sand. :D

·
Perfeshunal Hikk
8,887 Posts
To be quite honest, I was trying to bypass the CaribSea expense and get the same sand but at a much cheaper price. I have done a little research and have discovered that you can get the exact same sand for fractions of the cost; I just don't know where to purchase this in J-Ville. I hate to sound so cheap, but I would like to put my money into other things besides the sand. :D
You and I both. I have hunted for almost a year for a cheaper alternative and it still be calcium based sand. I haven't found it yet. Not in Jax, Atl or this hillbilly town I am currently stuck in until I get back to Jax. The only other source that I have seen for calcium based sand is in the reptile section of the chain stores. Its cheaper than LFS sand but it is still expensive. None of the "play sand" at any of the home improvement stores is ca based, its all silicate based.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Uggghhhh... that's not any good. Thanks for the input though!
I was actually going to travel around J-Ville dropping vinegar on everything until I find something that 'fizzes'. I just thought that I would try and cut corners, save time, and ask somebody near the area that may have been in the same situation I am currently. Oh well, looks like I might have to spend the extra couple of dollars. hehehehe
Oh yeah, GO GATORS!!! Tear that Sooner butt up tomorrow night!

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
Yep, the days of Southdown or other inexpensive brands are long gone. There is a sand plant in Keystone Heights (Yellowhead sand plant, I think) and I have always wondered what they are digging up.

Carib Seas Arag Alive in the 40lb bags is one of the better options available. Stay away from the Ocean Direct. I have it and it's loaded with shells and rocks.

·
Perfeshunal Hikk
8,887 Posts
Yeah, I have already done the vinegar thing all over Jacksonville. Never did find any that was right. The only other option I ever came up with was buying it in bulk from the same people that CaribSea gets it from. Only problem was that I never could figure out what to do with 10 tons of sand other than build my own beach in my backyard.

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
http://aragonitesource.com/

Here is the supplier, also located in Ft Pierce just like Caribsea. I have read that you can't mention anything about using it for a reef tank due to a non-compete agreement.

·
Perfeshunal Hikk
8,887 Posts
Yes, thats them. Can't mention saltwater tanks and you need a good reason to want aragonite sand other than "I just want it" and the minimum order he would sell me was 10 tons if I picked it up, 20 tons if they delivered it to me.

·
NFMAS
3,516 Posts
I would make the investment on sand. Its one of the most visable aspects of your aquarium. You can tell the difference between a nice pink fiji fine grain sand and sand that was not intended for the aquarium but thats just me.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the link! Are you sure that 10 tons will really be enough for a 150g tank?? JK, hehehehe! Man, that's a big order!

You do have a very good point PelagicMagic. Not to change the subject, but what would you all recommend (sand particle size) for an aggressive tank (ie 0.5-1.0 mm)? I think that aesthetically speaking the extremely fine stuff looks great, but I am also concerned about keeping it clean given that I am making this an aggressive tank.

·
Perfeshunal Hikk
8,887 Posts
I looked into buying that quantity then bagging it and selling it. It didn't take me long to figure out that when CaribSea found out about it, I would lose a source and probably end up getting sued in the process so I gave up the idea. I just emailed them again to find out if anything has changed in minimum orders. I have a step-brother in landscaping and going to talk to him to see if Ca based sand is something he uses or could use in the landscaping industry (Its what HD sold it for was landscaping when they carried it).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just emailed them again to find out if anything has changed in minimum orders. I have a step-brother in landscaping and going to talk to him to see if Ca based sand is something he uses or could use in the landscaping industry (Its what HD sold it for was landscaping when they carried it).
Awesome! Let me know what you here from both!
I find it so amazing that trying to find [cheap] saltwater aquarium sand is such a task especially when you live in FL! I have even considered taking out the boat (10 miles or so), strapping on the gear, diving to the floor with 5g buckets, loading up and coming home! There is nothing but sandy bottoms off of Jax.

·
Perfeshunal Hikk
8,887 Posts
Yeah, it is ironic to say the least. I would be interested in an off shore trip. I can't dive (don't know how) but would be interested in going out there. The question is, is it Ca based or Si based sand? I think an easy way to figure it out is to test what they pump onto the beaches in St. Augustine in the beach reclamation project. If its Silica based sand, save the gas.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Well, perhaps when you are back in town, we can go fishing. I can't really go "off-shore" for I only have an 18' center console. I can, however, do intracoastal fishing and a little bit of fishing out in the Atlantic.

One plus in doing this thread is that I almost have my 15 posts so that I might PM someone!

·
Perfeshunal Hikk
8,887 Posts
I have a 19' bayliner so I don't even go out past the intercoastal when I go. When I get back to Jax in the next few weeks, will look you up.

·
Registered
40 Posts
New here, and trying to bring up my post count too:nuts:, but with all my reading and searching about salt water set ups I ran across this place, don't know if its what your looking for though.

Just add the www in front...my way of cheating the system...:rolleyes:
gulf-view.com/gulfsand.html

gam

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks gamjunior for the link! Visiting that site has sparked my interest in some of their liverock as well. Thanks again.

·
Registered
2 Posts
These guys carry the CaribSea at only $21 or $22 a 20# bag. I just set up my 150 Gallon and put 8 bags in it. They aren't a huge store, but the prices are great! They are located in Green Cove Springs. Call them at 904-529-8265. They are only open until 4pm on Saturday. Their address is 981 martin ave green cove springs, fl 32043. I found them on craigslist. I hope this helps.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts