The Reef Tank banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I stopped off at the lfs and picked up 2 new peppermint shrimp yesterday. I already have 1 peppermint and 1 cleaner so I figured adding 2 more peppermints woudn't be bad. The guy at the fish store had a concern that my long nose hawk might eat the new shrimp, but I was willing to take the risk. Well, this morning I saw my Arabian Dottyback banging the little shrimpy against the rock :(. Are Arabian Dottybacks known as shrimp killers? And can I ever add any more shrimp to my tank? These peppermint shrimps were very small so should I work on getting bigger ones? Thanks for the advice!

·
Little fish in a big pond
5,916 Posts
Yep they are. Sorry :(

Were the cleaner and the other pepp in the tank before the dottyback? If they are large, the dottyback won't be able to kill them. However anything that's small enough to smash is open season.

Bummer.... the LFS was wise in their concern about the hawkfish - Long nosed hawks come from the same place as the pepps, so they naturally see that as a foodstuff.

Jenn

·
Summer and Alyssa's Daddy
2,679 Posts
Our arabian/neon didn't touch the peppermint shrimp, however Lisa's Peppermints and a damsel share the same cubby hole. It did however massacre some bristleworms. I think baby peppermints are fair game as I have seen my neon goby wipe out a bunch of a babies. Too be fair though, I have seen my peppermint shrimp pick on a snail or two.

Ray

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
Just want to add that diadem dotty's are also shrimp killers..found that out the hard way too. ;)

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
Don't count on it.

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Another thing people do not take into consideration when buying a "bigger" shrimp is the fact that the "bigger" shrimp is probably well into it's life span and may die sooner than you think if not by the hawk fish!
My LFS owner told me about the size of shrimp when my wife purchased a "small" one! It was a good tip I believe!;)

·
Administrator
49,218 Posts
Dottybacks , or pseudochromis are the spoiled evil rich kids of the reef world, yah they are gorgeous and costly compared to tank trash damsels but when they go bad, they are holy terrors and look at you like its their due, and how dare you question them ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.