The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 400 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spent most of the day working on my 75 gallon reef tank and then started taking pictures. I tried some things that were new for me, and learned a couple of lessons from them in the process.

I am planning on adding a whole bunch of pictures to this thread so it will not be very friendly to those who are on dial up connections. Sorry about that, but I hope everyone that can see them will enjoy them. :)

The main new thing I tried was top down photography. I do not have a photo box and I learned that you should not use the flash, but oh well.

·
spaceman spiff
11,769 Posts
The best way is to loose the flash and grab a tripod (I use a $20 thing I bought on amazon). Figure out how to set it to aperture priority, if possible, and then you'll have a bit more control. Which camera is it?

Top downs are tricky. One, you can't use a tripod (or if someone does, I'd love to see it!), so holding the camera steady enough is trouble. And it's hard to avoid reflections without a photo box. Sometimes I'll try to shade them, but even still that's not really effective.

·
Premium Member
11,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This is an Echinophyllia (sp?) frag that I got from a club meeting, with a little acro behind it:

In this shot you can see the Eagle Eye Zoanthid colony along with some Palythoas and Ricordia Yumas in the background:

I hope you all have enjoyed the pictures so far. I have some things to go take care of and will add more to the thread later. :)

·
Premium Member
11,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The best way is to loose the flash and grab a tripod (I use a $20 thing I bought on amazon). Figure out how to set it to aperture priority, if possible, and then you'll have a bit more control. Which camera is it?

Top downs are tricky. One, you can't use a tripod (or if someone does, I'd love to see it!), so holding the camera steady enough is trouble. And it's hard to avoid reflections without a photo box. Sometimes I'll try to shade them, but even still that's not really effective.
But the side tank shots look great. What settings are you using for those?
The camera is a Konica Minolta DiMAGE Z10, which is a point and shoot 2.3 Megapixels with an 8X optical zoom. I will readily admit that I know nothing about photography, at all, so I just leave it in whatever settings it has when I turn it on. :)

I have no earthly idea what an aperature is, let alone how to give it priority over other things. ;) Call me simple, but it seems to work okay for me.

I like the blastomussa, M.
Thanks B! :lol:

·
Registered
377 Posts
I like that zoa shot, as well.
Almost put me in the mood to shop either for zoas or a new camera.

·
Premium Member
11,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I like that zoa shot, as well.
Almost put me in the mood to shop either for zoas or a new camera.

Thanks, I would love to have a tank with nothing but zoas and rics in it sometime. You will see in the next series of pictures that my rics would like that as well.

The main question will be which one are you allowed to shop for that will not get you in trouble? ;)

·
Mommy Mod
5,294 Posts
Thanks, I would love to have a tank with nothing but zoas and rics in it sometime. You will see in the next series of pictures that my rics would like that as well.

The main question will be which one are you allowed to shop for that will not get you in trouble? ;)
my pony tank was almost nothing but zoas - I really liked it!

·
Premium Member
11,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Back to the pictures.

I have seen where some people have pictures of their Ricordia Gardens. While I would love to have one of those one day, I currently am the proud owner of a Ricordia Weed Bed.

This is one large rock that is almost completely covered in multiple layers:

On the other side of the tank I have another large rock that looks like this:

Of course this means that I am continuously finding new little babies on my live rock in various places.

This is my Fungia, aka green plate coral:

1 - 20 of 400 Posts