The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I decided to it was time to set up a frag tank, that would also act as another display as my other tanks were getting over populated. I did nost of the work this past weekend and am just now getting around to posting pictures of the process.

It started with a used 54 gallon corner tank and stand. The stand was a little rough.

But it was nothing that a little sanding and a fresh coat of Krylon couldn't fix.

While the stand was drying we began work on creating the frag rack structure. Since this is a corner tank I did things a little bit differently and am hoping my experiment turns out well.

It looks sort of like a Star Destroyer. ;)

·
Premium Member
11,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Then came the job of getting things ready to go into the tank.

First I had flashbacks to the days of my misspent youth and decided it was time to turn some big rocks into smaller rocks.

Starting rock:

Same rock after a few hits with the hammer and a strategically placed chisel:

After a good saltwater rinse, it was time to put things into storage in preparation of stocking the tank. For this I used my handy dandy, ever trustworthy, Rubbermaid bin.

·
Just send me a PM ;)
16,796 Posts
WOW... the stand turned out nice! I like the stairstepped frag system, interested in seeing how it all works out M.

·
Premium Member
11,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
WOW... the stand turned out nice! I like the stairstepped frag system, interested in seeing how it all works out M.
Thanks Tony! I am very curious to see how it works out as well. The good thing is if it starts to bomb I can easily remove it still. :)

This tank is not drilled, so I am running it basically the same as my 40 gallon system. I have an Aquaclear 110 power filter on it, a CPR Bak Pak 2R skimmer, and a Koralia 1 powerhead. I need to get a Phoenix 250 watt 14K HQI bulb so I can hook that light up, but for now I am breaking in all of the soft corals under a dual 96 watt PC fixture. That should work until I get the bulb and hang the light.

·
Premium Member
11,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here is an FTS I took of the system today:

I must add a disclaimer here. this tank has been setup for less than a week; however, all of the rock, corals, and livestock came out of my other systems and has been in use for well over a year. The longest any rock was out of the water was 5 minutes on the one I took the picture of. If you are new to reefing, please don't think you can fully stock your tank this quickly. :)

·
Just send me a PM ;)
16,796 Posts
Looks great M... that Rabbitfish looks nice and cozy in his digs :)

·
reefer madness
614 Posts
kick *ss loking frag tank! awesome work

·
Just send me a PM ;)
16,796 Posts
if he starts eating Zoo's pass him up this way, I have a colony of cinnamon zoos he can munch on :)

·
Premium Member
11,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Premium Member
11,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
This looks so cool!
Thanks Scott. You will get there someday, just try to be patient. ;)

the tank came together and looks great:beer:

so out of all your tanks, which is your favorite?:)

in the one pic is that a little blue damsel i see:eek: lol
Thanks Tim. How have you been? I cannot pick a favorite tank as each one is set up for a different purpose and reason and I like them all. If you look very closely you should see the yellow tail damsel along with 3 domino damsels. They belong to my wife and she would not let me get rid of them. They seem to be afraid of the rabbitfish and the little tang, so things should be alright. The corals need fish poo and worse case scenario the kill each other off and leave me with only one. Don't tell my wife I said that though. ;)

·
Mantis
2,138 Posts
Thanks Scott. You will get there someday, just try to be patient. ;)

Thanks Tim. How have you been? I cannot pick a favorite tank as each one is set up for a different purpose and reason and I like them all. If you look very closely you should see the yellow tail damsel along with 3 domino damsels. They belong to my wife and she would not let me get rid of them. They seem to be afraid of the rabbitfish and the little tang, so things should be alright. The corals need fish poo and worse case scenario the kill each other off and leave me with only one. Don't tell my wife I said that though. ;)

im good, you? , im so jealous of you building another tank while i havent even started one. ( minus the rsm) i hate being poor:bawling:

im suprised damsels being afraid of other fish, but keeping the damsels can make your wife support the hobby lol

1 - 20 of 106 Posts