The Reef Tank banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Master of Perplexity
3,451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Dudes!
I'm still in the Philippines, but had to have a slight fix of TRT. Really been thinking a lot about tank aquascapes since I've been diving on Moalboal in the Phils.
The reef here is a fringing reef, some places as close as 10 feet from the beach, but generally about 20 yards out, with a sudden drop to 2000 feet. Human pressure is pretty intense, but the reef is the most beautiful I've ever seen. Practically everything I've got in my tank is a beautiful healthy specimen here. Not many zoos, and of course no ricordia, but so many fungias, acros, montipora, and millipora you wouldn't believe.
What I've thought a lot about is the recent reading I've done about how most people are doing their aquascaping all wrong, piling rock up vertically along the back wall, while some recent tanks of the month have pooh-poohed this idea and believe a flat scape is better or "more natural."
Well, here, the flat areas are the region of softies, then as the edge approaches, generally when the water is only 10 feet deep, you have a little spur-and-groove and then a sheer wall to "the blue abyss" The most growth, here, is in these vertical areas, with the growth so thick, I also don't agree with the 30-50% coverage I've heard voiced (as in our tanks are too crowded) Man, the growth here is so thick, you have to be really good with your BC, cause there is no place to place even a finger, without touching a live coral.
Well, I'll be back in teh U.S. on Sunday, so I'll see if I got any response from this thread. Maybe everyone agrees with me, and maybe everyone will just ignore me! Either way, man, the Indo-Pacific is the best, if you want to dive in your tank!
Last thing, you wouldn't believe how tough some sarcophyton's are. I've seen them exposed to air twice a day for several hours, not to mention the foot traffic of natives fishing and shelling every day. They are far tougher than I imagined!

·
Registered
778 Posts
well, aquascaping in any size tank can be very limiting, when compared to the actual ocean floor:D i'd think you'd need a really big tank to go after that natural reef effect.

:thumbup: sounds like you had a great time! i hope you got lots of pics too!
:cool:

·
Registered
645 Posts
Use your lungs not your BC if it's tight getting around. Find your neutral buoancy, and just use the air in your lungs to navagate. Has nothing to do with this thread but it's just a suggestion.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I spent two years in the Philippines...only snorkeled...after awhile became acclimated to reaching 12+ feet catching/releasing octopus and collecting cowries. I too have snorkeled to the edge of a reef and stared down into "the blue-black". You never forget it....
Have you ran into a FireTree yet!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts