The Reef Tank banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hehe, I just thought that I would share my feelings on the subject.

After spending over two hours on this, my tank is cloudy, I broke some rocks, I am not happy with the arrangement of my rock and I found I HATE the look of zap straps in the tank.

Sheez, what a night...

I think next tank I will make a wooden form and then fill it with concrete... then I will have one solid piece I can drop in the tank (gently of course)... but of course one piece rock sculpture woudl suck!

Oh well, the ramblings of a frustrated newbie! :mad:

G

·
welcome to reefing....... i redo my aquascaping every few months cuz i get tired of the way it looks....

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I swear... this tank is gonna take YEARS off my life :)

stress... I thought this hobby was supposed to be rewarding! hehe...

Teaching myself patience the hard way here :p

G

·
just when you think you have a hrmit willknock everything over and you get to re aquascape trust me

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
:) welcome to the hobby!!

fwiw: corraline loves plastic. those zip ties will dissapear in no time.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Depending on the size/shape of your rock you might be able to use the `tripod' method I did. Make sure each piece is securely held up by 3 contact points on the rock below ... wiggle/rock it a little to be sure - but if held up by 3 points it should be stable [or mine was].

Also easier to re-arrange. I was also lucky to get a couple real nice flat pieces - so the bottom is larger pieces that have nice `tops' for stacking - then the flat pieces - then the rest as could be fit stable on top.

Then again, no DSB sure helped the process, as every time I mess with the other tank I have [with DSB] I have to stop after moving a couple rocks due to no visibility. Plus I like the stability of no DSB = all rocks securely on bottom glass.

Relax, have a little fun with it. You'll be re-doing parts of it until you get some corals, and maybe a little after that to find proper room/lighting/flow for them all.

Just keep in mind, once you move things, you can never get them back just the same way. Once I screwed up a layout I liked ... I did in once more and have left it.

·
Premium Member
7,889 Posts
mangomark said:
Depending on the size/shape of your rock you might be able to use the `tripod' method I did. Make sure each piece is securely held up by 3 contact points on the rock below ... wiggle/rock it a little to be sure - but if held up by 3 points it should be stable [or mine was].
That's a great way to do it. Just make sure that the rockwork is stable. Avalanches can be disastrous. I'm sure your aquascaping looks just fine. Once you get corals in there you don't see the rockwork anyway.

·
Summer and Alyssa's Daddy
2,679 Posts
I actually made me some homemade garf rock and after 6 months of curing, had some relativly flat pieces to mount my actual live rock onto. I am probably going to have a dsb on my 75 gal tank, mainly because I want to have a family of jawfish and probably a watchman goby or two. and forgo getting a "Large" fish like a tang.

Ray

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
heh, well - I have 4 inches of sand with a stand made from eggcrate and pvc that sits 3 inches high. So the rock is really stable on the stand but the stand is invisible due to the sand... which is nice.

I have a 24" wide tank - in my head I thought this would be enough room to make something pretty... but I was wrong! hehe. All my original ideas are gone now. I think I need a tank that is 3 feet wide... since I am not an artist, this is really killing me

·
http://atlanta-smas.org/
1,688 Posts
I TRIED THE TIES AND WAsnt succesful. i had to resort to drilling the rock and using threaded pvc pipe 3 inches long. i broke several nice pieces of rock, but ended up drilling and securing about six pieces together. its great if you want to make a huge arch or cave and you can't see the pvc joiners.

·
Registered
5,816 Posts
Rick O writes: Once you get corals in there you don't see the rockwork anyway.
Rick I have to much LR visible so I guess I need more corals! Where's Clint!!! ;)

MNreefman writes: i redo my aquascaping every few months cuz i get tired of the way it looks
MNreefman writes:just for kicks i redid my aquascaping today
Clint you will probably change it before I get this typed!!:funny:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.