The Reef Tank banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The first question I have is how many people use PVC pipe to help lift their aquascaping?

Second question is where is the best place to get good dry base rock?

And third, how much water flow do I need for a 150 gallon reef ready with SPS and external or interal pump and which kind?

If you guys could help me out that would be awesome. I am getting ready to setup a 150 and am getting all of the details taken care of.

Thanks A Lot,
Josh

·
Cabana Boy
2,070 Posts
Ive got pvc stands that I put on recently to lift my rock. Dont know about the best place, sorry. The pump thing is a little difficult to say which it kinda depends on how you want to go about flow. Could be powerheads in the tank or some sort of closed loop. It really depends on what you are looking to do. Do some research on those 2 and take it from there.

·
RIP Steve Irwin
5,500 Posts
PVC stands suck. Just my opinion but nothing looks worse than a pipe in the tank. Just stack the rock

·
11,345 Posts
smeese said:
PVC stands suck. Just my opinion but nothing looks worse than a pipe in the tank. Just stack the rock
Steve......How do you really feel about it??? :funny: :funny:

I think youre holding back on us.....:funny:

Josh...heres a better solution than pvc for looks and function IMHO

http://thereeftank.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70387

OR

Attachments

·
The Muddy Mod
7,007 Posts
Mine are just above the surface of the sand and you can't see them unless you bend down and look under the rock. Some people have even gone as far as priming them purple, which I think looks very cool. The other reason for PVC stands is for support when your jawfish decides he doesn't want ANY sand under the rocks!

·
Registered
212 Posts
1) On my first tank i didnt. I put the rock in and poured sand around it. In the second tank I did. I copied tdwyatt from this thread: http://thereeftank.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74205&highlight=PVC
either way don't leave the rock sitting on the sand incase something were to dig under it you could have a rock fall.

2)You can find some good deals on ebay for dryed rock also I have used these guys before: http://www.hirocks.com/

3) Flow in your sump I would shoot for 3-5x system volume
Flow in the tank I would shoot for 20x-30x flow rate.
As far as internal or external pumps I guess that is a preference kinda thing. External pumps I guess could save some heat from entering the tank but not always. For closed loops the pumps are generally external. In my tanks fo0r ease I did internal pumps. As for pump types I have used quietone's (a brand name), eheim, and panworld. They all have their plus and minus. Quietone - cheap could use a mag pump also
Eheim - dependable and quiet.. can be expensive
panworld - great external pump

Hope that helps to get you started. When I first did my tank years back I read and read over the tank build threads to get ideas.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts