The Reef Tank banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I'm still waiting for my nitrites to completely come down (0.3mg/L for 3 days, now), I've been staring at the tank, thinking about my rock arrangement.

I generally like it, but think I may have built it too high, with the highest point only about 3 inches below the surface.
(If I do more than a 20% water change, it will be exposed).

One of the rocks is touching the back wall for support. The rest are fitting together surprisingly well.
But I may have some LR a little too close to the sides.

How much room do I need for the cleaning magnet (haven't bought one, yet. Been using a sponge type one, so far)? Are they thicker than an inch?
Any slim models that work out there?

And how do you take care of the back wall, if you have a refugium covering pretty much the whole back.
Do you just let it go, and hope for corraline to cover it up?

I wish I had a working digital camera. Ours is only partially functional, and the pics I took were abysmal.

Susanne
20H

·
Registered
16 Posts
Got Algae?

I suppose it depends on how you want your tank to look. Personally I like to effect of glueing polyps on the back and letting them go wild :D

For cleaning with limited space, try a ProScraper by Kent Marine. If you get a magnet, get a MagnaFloat. They work great but are pretty thick, about an inch and a half. But the FLOAT! They are made in both glass and acrylic friendly but for acrylics I put a piece of filter media on the inside magnet. Its easier on the acrylic and cleans up the brown algae better.

Ive seen some lovely tanks filled to the top with LR, as long as there are holes for the fish to swim between. :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.