The Reef Tank banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Hello guys,

I just noticed that my aquarium stand is sagging on the front.
Less than the photo, but still there is a bow.
Is this a problem in a long run?

Any idea how to fix it?

Thank you,
Kire
Look for moisture soaking into the wood.

I had it happen slowly, and finally a big crack showed up at the top of the acrylic tank. The stand had warped and stressed the tank.

·
Super Moderator
Multiple tanks, reef, seahorse and fresh water
26,044 Posts
It can definitely be a problem, like mentioned is can crack the tank, grass is worst then acrylic. If each section is sagging on its own you probably have to much moisture around the tank .
I can’t really tell what your stand is , but doesn’t look like a stand designed to hold an aquarium. Is that a built in cabinet that just happened to fit the tank?

·
Reef Cave
480g in progress!
300 Posts
If you have a small amount of carpentry skills, you could resupport the existing structure with new wood and it would easily solve your problem. I would drain the tank about halfway or more if possible though to do the woodwork

·
Just some guy, you know?
22,978 Posts
How old is that stand? Given the design I can't see any possible way that it wouldn't sag with a foam pad under the tank on it. Is it designed for that tank? It may not be an issue if it is. Basically you have a tank that is supported only by the uprights because the wood in the middle isn't thick enough to provide any reasonable support and doesn't have any horizontal bracing to shore it up on the front.

Some tanks have a brace on the bottom, and the tank itself would be fine supported only in the corners and center point. Other tanks (most acrylic tanks) need even support on the whole bottom section.

Whiskey

1 - 7 of 7 Posts