The Reef Tank banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2 timers on my reef aquarium. One is for the Actinic and the other switches bw full spectrum & LED moon lights.
I work out of the house now so I leave before my lights come on and my aquarium wakes up, and get home after they've gone to bed. :(

Does anyone know if it is ok to set the full spectrum & the actinic lights to go on in the morning, off during part of the day and then on again during part of the evening or will that mess with the livestock too much?

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
There is no reason for it to come on so early. Your tank lighting does not need to match the lighting outside.

My first light doesn't come on until 2pm and they all shutoff by 11pm.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My husband is a morning person (wake 530am, off to work at 8am) and I am a night person (wake at 8:45 rush out door to be at work at 9, home at 7 or 8 pm).
So it would be ideal if we could both see the tank during our 'quiet time'.
So, that is why I ask the question: do y'all think it is ok to set the full spectrum & the actinic lights to go on in the morning, off during part of the day and then on again during part of the evening or will it screw up the livestock?

·
Registered
929 Posts
I dont think i have ever heard of anyone doing it that way. I would be concerned like you said about disrupting the natural cycle of your inhabitants. You should just try to set the lights to a time of day when your both around to enjoy the tank.

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
I do not think it can be done without seriously stressing the livestock. You need at least 8 hours of dark between the lighting periods.

I thought about trying something similar to boost coral growth. The idea was 8 hour periods of light followed by 8 hour periods of dark. This allows you an extra 8 hour period of light so in a two day period, you get 3 "days" of growth potentially. The problem is the schedule has to rotate between days. It would look something like this.

8am to 4pm light
4pm to 12am dark
12am to 8am light
8am to 4pm dark
4pm to 12am light
12am to 8am dark
and then the cycle repeats.

·
Just send me a PM ;)
16,796 Posts
No... I would not do it. Not only do the corals need their 8 hours of downtime, but there is a minimum time for photosynthesis to do it's thing. The corals need a minimum of 5 hours of usable light, and starting the lights up, only to shut them off again will stress them out (not to mention the fish). If you want to be able to see the tank earlier, get some standalone moonlights and use them for lighting in the morning as a predawn effect :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the feedback. Guess we'll figure something else out.
I took Jadinop & Love Rotties advice and set it so now i have it so The full spectrum goes on at noon and off at 8pm. I have the actinic light coming on around 7am & goes off around 9pm.
I think the actinic is on for too long. What would the effects of 10 hours of actinic lighting on the corals, fish, & anemones be?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Gak! I guess that means I'm going to have to start looking into a second aquarium. A night one for me and a morning one for my husband. Thanks for your input.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts