The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I received an email message today from Pet Solutions about specials on Aquarium Cleaning Products. Well, it had a link to this product and I just had to take a look at it. Obviously curiosity got the better of me. :)

I am wondering if anyone has ever seen one of these in person or even more to the point has anyone ever used one?

I would also like to know what other people think about it?

Here is a direct link to the product: http://www.petsolutions.com/Default.aspx?ItemID=58700108

·
Premium Member
11,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They don't really give enough of an explanation about it and how it does what it is supposed to do either. It basically looks like a swimming pool, or hot tub, filter packed onto a pump housing with cannister filter type hoses.

What I am really curious about is how they can claim that you can vacuum the sand bed and run it through that machine, let the water run back into the tank and not kill any of the beneficial bacteria. :confused:

On the other hand, if it really does do the trick it might help cut sown on the number of water changes you have to do in order to keep your parameters stable.

·
Perfeshunal Hikk
8,887 Posts
What it looks like is a mechanized siphon setup. It siphons the water out, runs it through a filter, then returns it to the tank. If you have a sump, you can get the same effect by siphoning into your sump through a sock filter and not have to spend that kind of money on it.

·
Carpe Noctem
9,817 Posts
I think it is a glorified substrate vacuum. Not much it can do for SW;)

A heavy-duty cannister filter at best:)

·
Premium Member
11,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What it looks like is a mechanized siphon setup. It siphons the water out, runs it through a filter, then returns it to the tank. If you have a sump, you can get the same effect by siphoning into your sump through a sock filter and not have to spend that kind of money on it.

If I remember right, didn't Berggy or someone else on here build exactly what you are talking about Randy?

Hop you stated exactly what my first thoughts were about it, but I wander how many people read the ad propaganda and think it will make life a lot easier for them.

·
Perfeshunal Hikk
8,887 Posts
If I remember right, didn't Berggy or someone else on here build exactly what you are talking about Randy?
I don't know if anyone has tried one or not. It wouldn't be that hard to do. It might prove difficult on a non-drilled tank using an overflow box if the siphon system dropped the tank level enough to break the siphon. Simply turn your return pump up a little to handle the extra flow from the tank to the sump, then start siphoning into a filter sock.

You could do it with a filter sock and a powerhead. Simply hook the siphon hose to the powerhead inlet, pump it through a filter sock and directly back into the tank.

·
Just Another Reefer
581 Posts
I got one last XMAS, returned it next day!:crap:

It is not recommended for sand beds. :angry:

Best bet is to use cheap siphon tube connected to cannister filter. :idea:

JMO

Doug

·
Perfeshunal Hikk
8,887 Posts

Why not just through a filter sock? I could be wrong but it would seem that the slower the flow pulling from the tank, the less it would stir up the sand bed. You want to stir it up a little but it seems that a canister filter could potentially have too much suction and end up siphoning the sand bed out?

But, thats about all that thing is - a siphon tube connected to a mechanical filter?

·
Premium Member
11,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Try it and let us know.
I'm not gonna try it, you try it.

Be sure to let us all know when it arrives George as we will expect lots of pictures and a lenghty write up about it. :lol:

You could do it with a filter sock and a powerhead. Simply hook the siphon hose to the powerhead inlet, pump it through a filter sock and directly back into the tank.
That is exactly what he did and he posted pictures and everything. I just can't seem to fing the thread right now though.

JMO

Doug
That is the information I was really looking for. :thumbup:

It would have cleared your tank up in about 10 minutes though :)
You know Randy, that is actually a good point and it probably would have cleaned it up very quickly. Although I think at that price point Ben waiting for 2 days for it to settles makes a heck of a lot more sense. You foam idea is a whole lot cheaper as well.

Thanks for all the feedback everyone.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I think it would remove some of the infauna.

·
Perfeshunal Hikk
8,887 Posts
I'm not gonna try it, you try it.

Be sure to let us all know when it arrives George as we will expect lots of pictures and a lenghty write up about it. :lol:
If he doesn't want to test it, he can pay for it and have it shipped to me, I will be glad to test it.......

That is exactly what he did and he posted pictures and everything. I just can't seem to fing the thread right now though.
Filter sock setup and a siphon tube. The drain line on the siphon tube simply needs to be long enough to reach from the furthest point in the tank to the filter sock. You simply siphon through the sock. Then you either have to turn the return pump up just enough to handle the extra flow or simply let the water level fluctuate. I would let it fluctuate but I am lazy and hate trying to adjust my return pump.

You know Randy, that is actually a good point and it probably would have cleaned it up very quickly. Although I think at that price point Ben waiting for 2 days for it to settles makes a heck of a lot more sense. You foam idea is a whole lot cheaper as well.
That foam works wonders. You just have to make sure to keep it clean is all. If you don't mind them being in the tank, they become biological filtration media after the water is clean and the foam is clean.

·
Premium Member
11,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think it would remove some of the infauna.
I was thinking the same thing, as I do not see how you could possibly vacuum the sand bed and not remove any. Especially once it hits the hot tub filter and the carbon block. :eek: I don't think it would be a good day to be a little sand bed dweller.

·
Perfeshunal Hikk
8,887 Posts
I was thinking the same thing, as I do not see how you could possibly vacuum the sand bed and not remove any. Especially once it hits the hot tub filter and the carbon block. :eek: I don't think it would be a good day to be a little sand bed dweller.
Depends on how hard its pulling water. With a sock filter in your sump and just a siphon hose you don't have that issue as you aren't siphoning it any faster than you normally would be. You can just clean it faster is all since you aren't doing a water change or anything else, just cleaning the sand.

·
Premium Member
11,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hey George, I was just curious about it and never really had an intention of getting one. ;)

I just thought it sounded like those "As Seen on TV" products where they make all of these great claims but have no scientific evidence to support their claims.

I know, you may call me cynical if you want to. ;)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts