The Reef Tank banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I am new to these forums and I am glad to say that I finally decided to take up this great (but expensive) hobby.

I went down to my local salt water store ( Tropical Fish Haven ) and purchased a 24gal Aquapod with the 150w Metal Halide, they had a unit in the front and I couldnt beilive how nice it looked I kept on dreaming about how nice mine would be if I could get one, so I went out and finally bought it.

I bought

1. 24g Aquapod w/ 150w HQI $400
2. 20lbs of Live Arganite sand $38
3. 24g Pre-mixed salt water $12
4. 24lbs Fiji rock (Pre-Cured) 7.50 a lb

I am going to let my setup sit for about two weeks, possibly shorter depending on my readings, then I am going to purchase a clean up crew.

I'll take pics of my set up ASAP.

Thanks!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the salutations, I set up my rock and I tried to make as many crevices and cave looking wholes, it looks pretty neat and I can't wait till it is full with life.

I am thinking of removing my blue sponges and bio balls, and add LR rubble and maybe some other addative to my right sump? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

I am going to place a heater and a thermometer in my left sump, also going to upgrade to the MAXIJET 1200 for more flow.

What do you all think I should add to the sump? any type of algae? I am going to add some LR rubble to the back to help filtration at eliminate the sponges I read they elivate nitrite levels through time.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
After putting the rock in there, I havent removed my sponges or bio-balls yet I am not going to do that till the tank cycles.

I noticed a smell coming from the tank, its probably completely normal but it kind of smells like a turtle tank, you know that stinky wet smell.

Also its still cloudy in there, when I bought the rock it looks like it was just cut from a reef it still has all sorts of stuff hanging from the rock so I left it on there and threw it in the tank, they said at the shop because it hasnt been cured yet that it would take a little longer to cycle, but my tank is still couldy and hopefully it will dicipate in a few days.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
I remember the feeling I had when I first got started with saltwater. It was such a cool feeling. I would go to the LFS 4 times a week just to stare.. Too bad that feeling wore off and now I worry about algae lol.

Welcome.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
For those who are expeirnced with the Aquapod 24g, the black blocks that run vertical in the right chamber with the sponges, do you want to keep those in or leave them out, I noticed by taking them all out I get a heck of alot of more flow, but is this what you want or is it bad for the filtering?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The rock I put in my tank wasnt cleaned or anything so I put it in my tank and it got super murky, i took the rock out and scrubbed it real good, also took my sponge and cleaned it, it was pretty dirty I siphoned half the water out and took out the bio balls, I then put the rock back into the tank and put the sponge back in, I am going to leave it like this until the water gets clearer, washing my filter and siphoning the tank as much as possible and I am gradually going to add new premixed salt water to it, hopefully it will clear up, also it smells pretty bad I read it would because its all the dead stuff on the rock so when I took it out I made sure I scrubbed it real good.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It seems that this uncured rock is making the cloudy like water, I read it is 100% normal since its uncured, pretty much all the stuff on the rock is dying and its making a foul smell, I read that I want to change water out daily, scrub rock as much as possible and syphon out all dead material on sand bed, tommorrow I am going to go buy a test kit so I can test for Ammonia. Hopefully in about 2-3 weeks my water paremeter's will be good enough to to get my cleanup crew.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Things to buy,

1. Filtering Media (Seachem MatrixCarbon, Seachem de*nitrate™,Seachem SeaGel
2. Hydrometer
3. Thermometer

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I purchased my Hydrometer, Ammonia test kit and Nitrite Test kit, my rock is still making my water cloudy so I move the peices around daily and scrub off what dead material is on them, the man at the store said by tuesday it should clear up so I guess we will see then, till then I have the lights on 8hrs a day and do regular siphoning of all dead material on the sand bed.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Let's see some picks! I ordered the aquapod nano 24 on Friday, and should get it sometime this week, so I'm anxious to see one that is just a couple weeks ahead of me!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Unfortunetly my sister is borrowing my camera, Ill get it asap.

The water is not as murkey as it was yesterday so maybe in aday or two it will be prestine, i rearanged my LR today i cant seem to figure out exactly how I want it, there are so many ways to have it, I got like two weeks to play with it untill I am going to purchase a clean up crew.

Ill post my paremeters as soon as I think the ammonia is going to start falling.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Would anyone reccomend purchasing some Cheato Algae and placing it in my right sump, the left sump will eventually house my MaxiJet 1200 pump (replacing stock pump with the 1200) and some LR rubble, my right sump will have 1 sponge,carbon filtration and possibly a protein skimmer if I really need one, I wanted to place the Algae in my sump because I wanted as much beneficial micro organisms in there as possible without having a Fuge.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts