The Reef Tank banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I have had an AquaC Urchin skimmer for a few months now, and I've never really gotten it to skim anything. I have it in a 20g long sump running with a MJ1200 pump. I've adjusted the heck out of the injector screw and it still doesn't really skim anything. I'll adjust the screw about 1/2 a turn and then wait a day or so to see if anything's changed. Usually it'll produce a lot of foam in the column for a bit and then that'll die off. Anybody have any ideas/experience with this type of skimmer?

·
Still the same fish
345 Posts
For me i had the same problem. I run one currently. Ive spent weeks fiddling with the skimmer till i finally realized it was the water level. Make sure your water level is good enough, itll make pumping a whole lot easier for the pump.

·
Still the same fish
345 Posts
If you can, then go for it. Just try experimenting with it. Not fiddle with the gadgets, but wth water level. And how long is the tubing to the pump? I dont have experience with the maxijet, because i use a rio for my 50gal

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, I'll put it close to the surface of the water and move it down every few days to see if that helps at all. The tubing from the pump is about 8" long or so.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No, I've had it running for about 5 months. The tubing is what came with it. Maybe if raising the pump doesn't help I'll try replacing it with a shorter tube.

·
Export with Care!
6,789 Posts
Yeah I've been testing mine for the last 3 months. Basically it doesn't do much. Keeping a higher water level and less pump distance helps. But after 2 days of skimming it has to be cleaned or collection stops for the most part. Bubble column is small and dirties easily. Removing the lid helps keep a good head of bubbles instead of hitting the lid popping and falling back down the column and not being collected. Doing this though as the bubbles pop the splatter a couple feet. It's hard to see but trust me it's happening. Coated the side of another tanks glass in a week.

Overall I have learned it was a poor purchase on my part

1 - 9 of 9 Posts