The Reef Tank banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Tune In Tokyo!
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive gotten to the point where I want to step up a bit. I want a more efficient skimmer than my HOT CPR bakpak 2r.
I also am going to go ahead and add a sump...a 10 gallon to be exact and I was looking at the AquaC EV 120. Is this too much skimmer for a med/high bioload 29?
heres the link
http://www.proteinskimmer.com/products/EV120.htm

I am getting an overflow box with a flow rate of 600gph so a mag 5 pump would work for the skimmer....is this too much flow/power?
Im lost

·
ONE VERY BIG FISHY
699 Posts
theres no such thing as a "too big" skimmer. Theres always "too small" ones, but generally the bigger the skimmer the better. Its also a plus to have a bigger skimmer so that when and if you upgrade you dont have to buy a new one. But to answer you question i think that skimmer would be perfect. One thing you might consider is do you have room for that skimmer. If you have enough room, its the way to go....

·
Tune In Tokyo!
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
is_that_a_fish said:
One thing you might consider is do you have room for that skimmer. If you have enough room, its the way to go....
I measured the inside of the stand and it will fit with about 4 inches to spare. If its too tight to remove the collection cup, then ive decided to mount in on the outside of the stand.
One thing I dont understand about sumps:
The smallest overflow (the one I SHOULD get)is rated at 300gph and the smallest pump for the ev-120 is about 500gph... make it 450 cause the pump wont put out all 500 going into the skimmer. Wont it create a suction/water loss if im pumping more into the skimmer and back to the tank than the overflow is producing?

·
ONE VERY BIG FISHY
699 Posts
well you have got to take into account that every "L" shaped pvc pipe that the pump has to push water through will result in less flow so you wont be getting all 500gph. And is the pump for the skimmer gonna be the pump for the return too?

·
Tune In Tokyo!
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
is_that_a_fish said:
And is the pump for the skimmer gonna be the pump for the return too?
Funny, I thought of that a few minutes ago....
It is not going to be my return. I will need a return pump that matches my over flow GPH, right?

·
spaceman spiff
11,769 Posts
Thats probably a good size for that tank. I have it with the mag5 on my 58 and it's disappointing. I bet on that size it will be just right. Let us know what you decide...

·
ONE VERY BIG FISHY
699 Posts
i would get a stronger return pump, maybe mag 4 or mag 5 then put a ball valve on the pipe going to your tank, so that you can adjust the flow to get it just right....

·
Premium Member
4,947 Posts
is_that_a_fish said:
i would get a stronger return pump, maybe mag 4 or mag 5 then put a ball valve on the pipe going to your tank, so that you can adjust the flow to get it just right....

:agree:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts