The Reef Tank banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all!

I am wanting to start doing kalk. I was wondering if the Auqa Lifter pump is a good way to get kalk into my system?

I was thinking I could get a 2 gallon container with a kalk mixture, and use the aqua lifter to slowly add it as top off water. I would hook the aqua lifter up to a float switch, which is in turn hooked up to a timer. The timer would be set to only come on at night.

Couple questions though...

1) Would kalk destroy the aqau lifter in a few weeks due to the high calcium deposits?
2) How fast does the aqua lifter pump the water out? 1 drip per sec?
3) If the aqua lifter is too fast, could I put a airhose regulator on the output to slow the flow down? Or would this destroy the pump...
4) Does the aqua lifter have the be under water? If not, how long can the input & output hose be?

Thanks for any help!

--Daniel

·
Premium Member
17,355 Posts
just listening in...

;)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I got an aqualifter and it it working great!

I have a 2 gallon jug with screw off top. I drilled a hole for a rigid airline tubing to go in. I used silicone to keep the rigid airline 1" from the bottom of the jug (don't want kalk deposits getting sucked up).

From there it goes to the aqualifter pre-filter, then to the aqualifter, which sits on top of the jug.

Then it goes up to the tank. I tied a knot in the end of the line to make it come out at drip speed... Been using this a couple months now. It is all hooked up to a float switch.

·
Registered
14 Posts
the aqualifter pumps 3g an hour, and it will get stuck or destroy for the high calcium, yes you can put and air regulator to slow down the drip, and can lift water up to 3 feet, but i think you can pull a bit higher than that.

Gabriel

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
kabal2,

Not sure what ya mean there, but I was just giving an update on how it hasn't destroyed my aqualifter. And I have been using this method for awhile now.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I just started using this idea last night. I was tired of gravity feeding the kalkwasser. I am now using an aqua lifter, a 1G container with kalk, and a small ball valve to regulate the flow. So far it works great, although I am guessing I would have to clean out the ball valve once in a while due to sediments getting in there. I also need to get a bigger container.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts